1. Parenting

Is Facebook Safe?

By July 13, 2007

Quick Links: Real Parenting Questions | Parenting Style Quiz

A mom asks for opinions: "One of my daughters, who is 16, wants to get Facebook. I took a look at the site, and it doesn't seem safe to me at all. She says she will set the maximum privacy settings to her account, but I don't know about this.

The fact that you can type someone's name into the search box and it will find them is kind of creepy. As you are probably already aware, most kids on the site put their first and last names. If they've entered what school they go to, you can see that information as well as what city they live in, and the year they will graduate. Also, their photo is shown. You can see all this even if the profile is set to private and you can't see their actual page.

I find this very disturbing... are kids forgetting that once you put information on the internet, it's there for ever? Or do you think I'm just overreacting? I mean, just because "everyone is doing it" doesn't mean it's safe.

PS- Yes, we can see what our daughter is doing online, we have a filtering service which has a history that cannot be cleared. So I would know if she signed up for Facebook without my knowledge."

Denise's thoughts: I would let her try with the stipulation that you can take a look at what is happening at any time and you have her password. With your filtering software and checking up, I wouldn't worry.

It seems at Facebook.com only friends she has allowed and people in networks she has joined(her high school is a network) can see her. From there she can still block anyone. That seems pretty safe together with what you are doing at home. Updated: Yes, you can see city and high school if she has joined those networks. The high school network would be fine with me, but the city one is really not necessary as she can add friends individually that are not in her school.

Related Resources:

Asking our community: Does your teen have a Facebook account? Do you feel it is safe? Why or why not? Post on the forum or leave a comment here.

Quick Links: Real Parenting Questions | Parenting Style Quiz

Connect With Denise: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
July 13, 2007 at 11:33 am
(1) Steph in Boise says:

We are IT professionals, we have a 15yo daughter. She has been raised on a pc (almost like a bottle), she has also been raised armed with every graphic/disgusting detail about what could happen to her should she make the mistake (when it comes to pc usage) to not heed our warnings, and do the research (about why we have our rules and opinions) herself. This makes for a more understanding teen. (If you don’t like our rules, prove to me that what I am telling you is incorrect.) Internet safety is a very VERY big soapbox for our family (my daughter included), so I’ll spare you the harsh reality of the networking sites, and say GO WITH YOUR GUT MOM!!! It’s your daughter we’re talking about, she is irreplaceable! Facebook is NOT safe, it was built for college kids initially. Arm yourself with knowledge, there are a TON of internet safety sites out there but one of my favorites for parents and teens is the AD COUNCIL – go to www(dot)adcouncil(dot)org then go to the left side under Health & Safety, and then scroll down to the Online Exploitation page….once you’ve clicked on that the very first paragraph of the Online Exploitation page states this: “Sixty-one percent of 13-17 year olds have a personal profile on a social networking site and half have also posted pictures of themselves. Teen girls are particularly at risk – of 1 in 7 youth who received a sexual solicitation or approach over the Internet, 70 percent were girls.” —-that does NOT give me a warm fuzzy at all. On that site as well, to the right of the page, are all the Public Service Announcements in video/radio/print form (their campaign material)…I highly recommend watching all the videos targeted for the both the Adults and the Youth. Even when our children no longer live with us, we still have to worry about their safety. ie: My husband put up a little girl for adoption 20 years ago, and through a networking site, found her in less than 5 minutes, only knowing her name. We isnstantly had pictures of her, knew where she’s attending college, we also knew her friends names, boyfriends name, and probably could pinpoint her apartment complex. (We do have contact with her, thankfully, but she’s “an adult” now (not armed with some great internet safety knowledge…need I say more) I continue to pray that we, as parents, be absolutely bold enough with our children to say, not only are YOU my precious child (son/daughter) in serious danger, one wrong move on the internet and our whole entire family is in danger. One of our thought processes for internet safety we often times say to parents (mind you, even our extended family with kids don’t all seem to “get it”)…is this: You wouldn’t leave for the evening, and put a sign on your WIDE OPEN front door that reads something like this would you? “COME ON IN – We’re gone, but our most prize valuables (the kids) are alone and unattended! Please help yourself, by using any means necessary to steal, harm, or abuse them.” – When parents and teens are not educated, devistating results can happen. My only other opinion, is a safe compromise. We set up a FAMILY myspace for two purposes, one so that we could look at the FRIENDS (and their friends, and their friends) of our daughters, without being too terribly obvious, and another reason is so that our daughter didn’t feel like she didn’t feel like an outcast, and have to SNEAK behind our back—she now tries to educate her friends too. Only MINIMAL information is posted, and the name on the backside of account is MOMS (mine), with the theme being our dogs. Safe compromise. This way we have access to her friends as well, and once you get looking, you’ll realize just how safe it’s NOT. Again Mom, I say definately, you answered your question as you were posting it “go with your gut”…Facebook (and other networking sites) are not safe!

July 13, 2007 at 12:21 pm
(2) Anna says:

Hi,

I have had to get a myspace and facebook account to see what my students and children will be getting into, and I can honestly tell you that I prefer facebook. Yes, everything that you have said is true, but we live in a society that is high on technological advances and on Internet communication. I believe that as long as you are added as her “friend” and you monitor the content she will be fine. I feel confident about letting my 15 get a facebook account rather than myspace because it does offer higher security. I think you just need to teach her what to add and not add.
Good luck!
Anna

April 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(3) p says:

i know right

May 18, 2011 at 11:14 am
(4) Mariah says:

i know right

July 13, 2007 at 4:12 pm
(5) Steph in Boise says:

I am sorry, I am not willing to trust any filtering system, other that THE PARENT FILTER, which is us keeping tabs on ALL internet activitiy, and I am certainly not going to be under the impression my child will be FINE…most parents have the attitude that “abduction (fill in appropriate word here–DUI, drugs, sex, abortion, etc.) will not happen to my child they know better” philosophy…Heck, at 37 years old, there are some things that you would think I would know better but still do..sometimes just to irritate my own mother. Today 7-13-07 if you go to the www(dot)msnbc(dot)com website you will see a picture of a little boy about 6 with a keyboard and the words ‘Like Sheep’ click on that picture….networking sites for kids as young as SIX for goodness sake! (Please read it!) It’s time the PARENTS take control, and stop letting their children put themselves in danger…especially when they are still so naive. How young is too young? For some people 37 is too young. I am not a right wing conservative, nor am I a complete left wing liberal either. I am concerned for our children and our childrens children…the rules have changed in our society. Who is to blame? I’m trying to take responsiblity for the young lady I’m trying to raise, so that the next generation will be a much safer place to live in. It is our responsiblity to raise our children, not the internet, not the school system, not the television, video games, or their new “Facebook/Myspace” friend.

July 13, 2007 at 9:58 pm
(6) Christine says:

Have you seen the way young girls “market” themselves on myspace? It is as if feminism never happened. Scary.

July 16, 2007 at 1:06 pm
(7) Carol says:

I think you are doing the right thing with the filtering software and you are right to be cautious about Facebook. I don’t know if I would forbid it, but I would let my teen know that I will be monitoring what’s going on. Our home computer is in our dining room, so we can see what’s going on.

The kids get a lot about internet safety from school and home; but I think it’s naive on our part to think we can keep kids from this entirely, all we can do is stress safety. I’ve told my kids we will get rid of the internet at home if we suspect abuse or inappropriate contacts, but will that stop them from using a friends computer? Probably not.

July 20, 2007 at 2:37 am
(8) Lisa says:

Please, heed the warnings above. And most importantly, that software you have that saves things that cannot be deleted…. Mom, dont kid yourself like I did. If someone wants it off the computer they can get it off there and you’ll be left in the dark. As stated by another person above…. go with your Gut!

August 15, 2007 at 10:14 pm
(9) Clare says:

I don’t think FaceBook is as dangerous as many portray it. I am a 15 year old girl with a FaceBook, and I use maximun privacy. So far I haven’t recieved any inapropate messages, and even if I did, so what? I’m not naive enough to meet any strangers, or give out personal info. I think if your teen is mature and aware of the risks of FaceBook, she is old enough to have one.

August 17, 2007 at 2:38 pm
(10) sara says:

i was thinking about getting facebook to keep in touch with my classmates, but my mom wasn’t very sure about me getting it. even though my friends said some good things about it, we weren’t sure,so i decided to research it. and i can say that i will not be getting it, thanks to all your good honest advice. i do not want to put myself in that kind of situation to get into trouble. thanks again for the comments!

October 9, 2007 at 9:19 am
(11) HC says:

Right then, you sign up for facebook, you add your details, and then, if people want to see your profile, then you have to authorise it, this way it stays to friends and, if you let them, friends of friends.
So, don’t say, it allows every single person on the internet to find out every single detail of your child’s life.
because unless they say, “hey, i don’t know this person, i’ll let them know my phone number, or my email address.”

so, unless they are of extremely low intelligence, children should realise that you should just be slightly careful, and not let situations such as these arise.

April 19, 2011 at 9:09 am
(12) beach says:

everibody stinxz
and everyvone knowes that

August 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm
(13) BOB says:

Are you sure?

December 20, 2007 at 8:28 pm
(14) rae says:

Sorry, I think those of you that freak out about facebook are overreacting. i’m a teenager trying to convince my parents currently, and i agree with HC. Facebook is as safe as the person using it. if you don’t trust your daughter and think she is going to post pictures of herself wearing next to nothing or whatever, don’t let her get it. but if she has a good head on her shoulders and isn’t going to do anything stupid, just don’t post your real adress or phone number.

February 25, 2008 at 7:02 pm
(15) frustrated teen says:

I am also a teen trying to allow my parents to let me have a Facebook. Although there are many risks with Facebook, in the end, it is not any safer than AIM, MSN Messenger, or any other site of that kind. I also agree with Rae- facebook is as safe as the person using it. I am well aware of the risks of online activity, but I believe that if any teen deemed mature enough by his/her parents to have the rights that many teens today have (going on AIM, going out with friends, etc.) then he/she, as long as they are careful, should have no problem with Facebook.

P.S.- Whoever said that Facebook is only for college students is wrong; I know more people than I can count who are in MIDDLE SCHOOL or HIGH SCHOOL who currently have Facebook accounts.

April 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm
(16) someone says:

hey i know about 100 2nd graders that are on facebook.

March 21, 2008 at 11:29 am
(17) D.S.B says:

I think Facebook is a safe thing and what frustrated teen said about how middle school students and stuff.. its true.. i know people in ELEMENTARY SCHOOl that have one and i dont have one.. i had one but i deactivated it cuz if my family found out i had FB i would get killed.. im just waiting for a certain age to have it.

March 28, 2008 at 7:47 pm
(18) Nadene says:

I am a teenager who was deprived of internet access for quite a few years. I just now got it, and I am considering getting a MySpace or a Facebook. I am known to get hooked on things (even social networking sites), so I am being very cautious of which websites I visit. I suppose that Facebook or any other site like that could be safe if you have common sense, but why put yourself in that kind of danger? I don’t even get why Facebook is so cool, I mean, all you do is make a profile and people see your photo and favorite type of music, animal, color, movies, etc…about you. Seems kind of pointless if you ask me.

July 16, 2008 at 11:15 am
(19) c says:

i dont think any of these sites are safe. there are many many creeps in this world. if one of them latch onto you and then do a simple search on your name and see where you live, they can easily use other websites to zero in on you and your interests. you read stories all the time about these people and the horrible crimes that are committed. dont think people look at this stuff…i really dont like the fact that people post pics of there kids as well…just not appropriate.

July 27, 2008 at 7:01 am
(20) youth psychologist says:

It is a rather well-known fact that children who are disallowed access to something will often use it excessively when older. They see whatever it is (be it facebook, alchohol or sex) as a novelty. I think that most will agree with me that sex and alchohol are not inherently bad things–they become a threat when abused. Now, when I was a teenager my mother talked freely to me about sex and so forth, therefore when I came of age, I did not see it as a taboo or a novelty and engaged in it safely.

Likewise, children whose parents so closely monitor internet use that the teen feels trapped or over-protected are more likely to abuse the privelege of finally getting a facebook or myspace, when they do. I would suggest forming a relationship of trust with your teen. Of course you must talk to her about the dangers of the internet and the risks that are involved, but you should speak to her in an understanding way.

In other words, do not patronize and lecture her–instead, ask her questions and treat her as if she knows something about the subject too. Use phrases like ‘be cautious’, ‘be smart’, and ‘I believe you’re above (this behavior).’

Teens need to explore, and although I know it is scary to imagine the people we remember as being infants yesterday in danger or being solicited, we need to remember our own childhood, and what we did/didn’t like about our own parenting. Base your decisions on that–we are here to guide our kids based on our own experience, and when we talk to them as young adults instead of as children, they will understand.

Good luck.

July 30, 2008 at 3:05 pm
(21) Melanie says:

Excuse me ma’am!
You can set your privacy settings so when people search you, your name, pic and profile wont show up…FB is my life and it is super safe…my mom makes me use all the safety precautions, and im thirteen

September 15, 2008 at 5:46 pm
(22) hoping teen says:

i have just asked my mom if I can get a facebook. I think if i were a mom these are the questions i would ask myself:

is my son/daughter responsible?

do they know this privelege can be taken away at any time?

do they have respect for other people?

if a stranger tried to talk to them while they were walking to school and no one was around, would they have a conversation with them?

do they know what if they see anything that offends them in any way?

would they tell you if they saw something inappropriate?

do they know why you are questioning your hesitation?

do they have a reason other than “but everyone else has one”?

these are some of the questions you might ask yourself and your son/daughter. if they respond in a way you don’t like or that makes you think that they aren’t ready to have this responsibility then you shouldn’t allow it.
if you think they respond possitively to the questions and tell them of some rules when on the website, i think they will be fine.

January 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm
(23) Cam says:

I’m 14 and Yeah, i asked my parents if i could get a facebook account, but that didn’t happen. They only looked at the bad things about it like how some (not all) people find you and send you inappropriate stuff. I bet they didn’t even research about facebook. All of my friends have an account and i don’t. I didn’t even get a chance to tell my dad that i want an account because i wanted to contact my friends more. I live about 10 miles out of town and i feel so left out! I know i’m responsible and it seems like they do not trust me enough. They have raised me better than stupid.
Even though there are teens that are pretty stupid, there are teens who are life changers and have good hearts. It is always “labels”. I’m in Middle school and our couselor comes to classes to talk about bullying and harrassing. Adults always think teens are irrespnsible and they don’t respect themselves or others. Totally wrong!
I agree with some people that have posted comments. You can have fake names and choose not to put any info about yourself.
Adults NEED to trust their kids. If they are NOT responsible and mature, then they can not have a facebook account. if they are responsible and make good choices, then they are ready to have one. Adults, kids need to explore. They can’t be kept within your grasp forever. They need to grow up and make their own choices!

September 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm
(24) Cass says:

I am 13 and I really would like a facebook. Almost all my friends have one and I feel so left out but all my friends say that facebook really isnt a big deal. They say at first you really love it and its so fun but then after a few weeks it gets boreing and you never go on it. I tried to work something out with my parents but the y just said no. When I’m a mom I will let my children have a facebook at a decent age. I wish they could trust me. Its probly no big deal like my friends tell me but I still feel like I’m not trusted and I’m left out.

September 22, 2008 at 2:53 am
(25) p says:

Your profile, including network, city, and friends list, can EASILY become public if you OR your friends add application. Read the application terms of use.

Also, if a person on your friend’s list (or someone from search) clicks on your name, they see your school and city networks.

DON’T join city or school networks.

Create a family account, or use some sort of alias.

DON’T be searchable at all.

Only accept friend requests that you know.

Adjust privacy settings, especially if you join a school or city network. When you join a network, ALL of your profile becomes VISIBLE to EVERYONE in your network (school or city) unless you change all of the settings.

DON’T use a profile picture. It’s too easy to see those in a search and/or from other people’s walls.

Avoid posting many photos in general.

September 22, 2008 at 11:32 am
(26) michelle says:

just a few comments….real live relationships are far better than virtual relationships and if facebook ‘is your life’ you need to rethink how you want to live your life…in front of a compute screen, or in the real world.

good luck.

September 24, 2008 at 4:20 pm
(27) lea says:

I have a 16 yr old dtr. She has Facebook. I let her have it, but I personally don’t like it. If all parents monitored what their children put on the site it could be a fun site. However, I am probably the only parent of all my dtr’s friends that look at the site. I also have a monitoring system on my computer and the things I have found out by looking at this site are priceless. I would have been clueless as to what some of the kids are doing. You can honestly pretty much figured out who is drinking, having sex, lying to their parents, having parties etc. I can’t believe these teens are so stupid as to put some of the things they do on this site. My dtr doesn’t know I can access this site any time I want. If I were not able to see it, I would not let her have it. The few parents I have mentioned something to of things I have seen or read on Facebook all can’t believe I “evade” my dtr’s privacy. If all parents continued to parent in high school instead of simply stopping the day their child enters the doors it would sure make parenting easier for us that are going to continue to parent till the ripe old age of 18.

September 25, 2008 at 9:43 am
(28) Jen B says:

I think a mature 14+ should have that right! if it was someone under that age then yea they shouldn’t have a facebook ect…but other then that.

October 20, 2008 at 8:12 pm
(29) Chelsea says:

Hi, I am 13 and I want a facebook. my mom and I are talking about it.
Couldn’t I just But my last initial as my last name and not put my school,give my mom my password,have her use her account to add me,and let her see what I am doing? I personally,think that is fair and reasonable.

October 29, 2008 at 4:20 pm
(30) "max" says:

I agree with chelsea, what if a teen wanted a facebook and let his/her parents have the password so they could check for appropriate content and who the teen is friends with?

November 9, 2008 at 9:37 am
(31) Mel says:

I am in my later 20s and many of our generation (“working professionals” and not teens) use Facebook. It IS safer than myspace, but only if you set your privacy preferences high. At higher privacy settings, people who arent your “friend” cant see your picture, your information or even who your friends are. They cant even click on your name to see one bit about you if they do happen to come across you, or add you as a friend. With that said, I would recommend to NOT put your full name if you are a teen. While Facebook indicates it’s required, it’s not. They will approve your First name, Last initial for your information.

BUT (this is my opinion)- While it is a great way to keep in touch with past friends, I dont think a teenager needs to “keep in touch with past friends” because they see their friends everyday in school. How many people do you need to keep in touch with anyway? You havent graduated from high school OR college… which is who “older” people find and keep in touch with. I think teens like it because they can post pictures and express themselves. So please do tell your teen to limit the use and information provided.

December 2, 2008 at 5:20 pm
(32) Kay says:

I am trying to convince my mother to let me get a facebook. I already have a myspace, and am aware of how to keep myself hidden from others, so to speak. My city, has me living in this completely random place, it states that I am like really old, and i dont accept anyone that i dont know, so i dont understand why i shouldnt be ableto have one?

May 11, 2011 at 9:10 am
(33) Jackie says:

You should get a facebook I myself am a mother and have let all my 5 year old kids have a facebook on no privacy settings they are octuplets. They haven’t had their identity stolen or anything so its okay. My older son is 16 and he has one too and he doesn’t do anything bad I think so yeah.

May 11, 2011 at 9:16 am
(34) Darla M. says:

You should totally get a facebook. I’m like 18 and i have one. My 5 year old octuplets all have one and they haven’t had their identity stolen. They have absolutely no privacy settings and make a habbit of giving out their social security twice a week.

December 4, 2008 at 8:58 pm
(35) Gabe says:

I agree parents have the right to be worried about this. The bottom line is that everyone is doing it. It is one of the righteous moves by our lack of judgment and decision that could put our lives on the danger zone which it is the Internet.

December 7, 2008 at 3:47 pm
(36) Donna says:

i don’t undertand why facebook isn’t safe? you don’t have to put your location or birthdate. and the only people who can see it are your ‘friends’. you just have to help your kids to be smart. don’t put info. now – don’t put it when you’re older. it’s all moderation…

December 23, 2008 at 11:18 pm
(37) Wanting teen says:

this is rediculious, whenever I go over to my friends house they always get on facebook, but, my mother wont let me get one?!?! I know, I know, you can see 1 picture of someone on there if you set it up right. Now for all those paranoid parents that will read this, theres something called hmmm I dont know.. maybe a PRIVATE PROFILE!! Where you can not see anything, ANYTHING you could look up someones name and for all you know they couldnt even exist, because thats what the site says. So the only way you could add friends is to look for them yourself, so you cant get tracked down and blah blah blah. The only reason my mother wont let me get a facebook is because of all of those horror stories that are on dateline about kids who go out, act stupid and put something on there they shouldnt have ex. adress, phone number, ect. I think that if kids are properly educated about social networking sites, they should be allowed to have one, set some ground rules, look at it every once in a while.

January 24, 2009 at 8:30 am
(38) facebook chick says:

hey,
Facebook is safe i think your daughter should have one they are really safe and you dont have to guve any infomation out that is up to u so ym opinion is go ahead let her have one. It is the best for her and she will be able to talk with her friends…. Just dont give any infomation and you will be ok..

Best luck on this issue
may God Bless you and your family always..
all you have to do is follow God and read John 3:16

January 27, 2009 at 11:57 pm
(39) Isabelle says:

Comparing MySpace and Facbook is a big decision. MySpace is a lot let filtered and more people can just sign up without using a real name or anything. You also get to personalize your profile with a layout, etc. Facebook, on the other hand, is where there are real people that you know (by their name) instead of total strangers like Tom adding you as a friend. My recommendation here would be to get a Facebook over MySpace but, use all the privacy options. I have a Facebook and when people search my name it doesn’t even show up. I’m obviously not the type of person to write my address or phone number. I mean, who needs that? My friends probably already know that anyway. I don’t add random people. Also, the only information I would add as far as contacting me, would be my screenname. My friends know that too and those are the only people that I add. No friends’ friends or anything..just people I know. Now onto profile pictures. Choose a nice icon, doesn’t have to be you..unless you want it to be. Be sensible. Don’t put anything that you’ll regret later on or that can embarrass you too. Facebook is great although a tad bit dull..but if you use it for its purpose..(talking and keeping in contact with your old/long lost and your current friend. family, then it is definitely something you might want to sign up for. But always keep in mind, not to become addicted.

January 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm
(40) sarah says:

i wold give her some privicy though

January 30, 2009 at 8:21 am
(41) Vicki says:

I agree that it depends on the maturity of the teen, and that allowing them to use it in a more controlled way when they are young will reduce risks later.

Try to talk to her and come up with some agreements –

1) Not to accept friend requests from people she does not know. For people she knows but not very well, a limited profile means that a person she has accepted as a facebook friend can see some information but not all. Also, will she agree not to add random people as friends, but only people she knows in real life?

2) NOT to put her personal contact info on her profile. If her facebook friends need to contact her they can send her a private message. Her good friends should know her phone number, e-mail address etc.

3) When peoples school and city are displayed, this is because they are in those networks. If she does not join any networks, all that will come up in a public search is her name and photo. If she does want to be in her school network, she can customise settings so that non friends can only see limited information.

4) Or you can change settings so that she will not show up in a public search, although your daughter may be unhappy with that as then her own friends may not be able to find her easily, especially if she is also not in her school network as well.

5) I agree with checking her account but give her space too. If you are suspicious of someone sending a friend request or message that you feel are inappropriate, it is easy to block someone. Then they cannot see her in groups etc or on the network, they won’t see her in mutual friends list and they cannot message her.

6) Ask her to agree to NOT give out any personal contact details and especially not to arrange to meet people without asking you first.

I totally understand your concerns, but in a few years time she will be adult and probably leaving home for college, work and travel. She is at an age where she will be meeting lots of people. Learning about safety now will benefit her in the future.

January 31, 2009 at 4:24 pm
(42) TAKE A LOOK says:

It is safe. You just have to go to the bottom of the screen after you log in then you click privacy. You can choose what you want to display and not display. You can choose 4 options for each, display to everyone, display to friend’s friends, display to friends, display only to you, and display to no one. There’s also 1 other choice, custom. You can pick any one of the above besides bla bla bla. So, it is safe… just TAKE A LOOK!

September 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm
(43) Wellwisher says:

yes. but there is one thing you cannot choose. and that “display to facebook, the company” or not. facebook sees everything! and even after you “deactivate” (notice how u cannot “delete”) you account, the info is still in the facebook’s archive and it isn’t gone until facebook itself gets rid of it. see my concern? the ownership of the contents is unclear!

February 15, 2011 at 9:58 am
(44) I agree that you should be able to delete your account permanently until you want to make a new one says:

I think that you should be able to delete your account permanetly until you wanna make a new one. (The data will be PERMANETLY DELETED FROM FACEBOOK’S ARCHIVE!!)

February 15, 2011 at 9:53 am
(45) Thank - You says:

Thank – You … I never knew that. :)

February 14, 2009 at 9:57 am
(46) Psychology Guy says:

As you can see from the numerous teen posts on this topic, the vast majority believe it is safe and only “stupid people” get into trouble using it.

The problem is twofold. First, nobody thinks they are the stupid one. Second, teen perception of the safety of the site is based largely on the observation that everybody else is doing it, so it must be safe. This is normal teen thinking and it is useful in many situations. However; you can easily see in several of their posts no willingness to critically consider the objective facts–especially when it might lead them to make a counter-cultural conclusion. That’s what parents are for; find the facts, teach them how to find them, and critically analyze these facts together. They need your help, don’t let them down!

February 23, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(47) Dad says:

Thanks Psyc Guy, Good comment. How can a 16 year old even fathom the degredation that goes on in this world. They think hey I’m “Smart” so I know. After you have a few years on you do you start to realize just how inexperianced you were as a kid. I am wary of facebook. i love my daughter’s, all three of them. I am the protector it’s my job. Like the policeman that looks at you like he doesn’t trust you. I do not trust the intenet or a bunch on kids saying it’s okay everybodys doing it. Sound strangly familiar too me. One of the comments about it’s a well known fact, that kids will overindulge if we overprotect. Right, we should let them play in the street. Do drugs, make babys anything they want because we should be afraid we are overprotective. It’s funny, how that facts don’t support this assumption. Yes some over protective kids will act up but I bet it’s a much lower percetage than kids with non-protective parents. ANYWAY my soapbox is about to break. Back to overprotecting my kids. I love them dearly! And they are wonderful.

Overprotector DAD

March 8, 2009 at 11:38 pm
(48) Alejandro says:

been there, done that”…it is NOT safe.

March 18, 2009 at 12:36 pm
(49) We Don't Wanna Put In says:

Facebook is as safe as walking down in the middle of a highway without looking behind, os as safe as baby Bush invading other people’s countries. It is also as safe as Barrok Osama thinking of engaging the turlban bans.

April 3, 2009 at 11:16 am
(50) Montydon says:

When you say kids I think of 7-12 year old kids…while you’re talking about a youth, facebook is not they type of website where you go out on dates or anything, its a friendship circle, now uif you trust your son or daughter then they are safe…if you don’t trust them, access their account from time to time and check whom they’re friends with, by the way…it also depends on your young-adults friends.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Notwise enough to lead…yet+
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

April 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm
(51) taylor says:

ok i see what every one is saying but im a 15 year old girl. and i have a myspace but i cant get on it on my computer beause is causes viruses. i have aled to my friends about it and the prefer face book i want to get one and mom said i could so should i have one of thoses instead of myspace?? i need help!!

April 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(52) allie says:

why wont you let her have a facebook? for one shes 16 years old!!! you should trust her and two….shes not going to be living with you forever….give her space because if you dont shes goin to be anoying to all of the ppl that shes around because shes goin to be relying on them her whole life and she wont ever be independent at all so if you want your kid to CRASH in life than take it all away from her….but i think that you should let her have one….and then you make one and make her add you so that way you can see everything that she does…..thats what i did

May 16, 2009 at 7:20 pm
(53) This guy says:

I can honestly say that not giving enough space is a very bad thing. You expect your child to grow up and be mature, but at the same time you don’t trust them? I’ve been told I can’t have a facebook, however much I want one. I could very easily get one and hide it, but I don’t and do not plan to, until I am told that I can have a facebook. If you can’t trust them, how can you ever expect them not to resent you?

May 22, 2009 at 9:02 pm
(54) TXgirl says:

I’m a 14 year old girl. My parents won’t let me have a Facebook, like many of the above teens. I have to disagree with many of the overprotective adults who have posted saying that teens are ‘just so naiive’ and basically infering that, because we are at the age we are, we don’t know a thing and are as fragile as glass cups. I will admit, teens are not as smart as adults. Brain smart. And there are many who don’t have sense either. But, I also know that there are many teens [I count myself among these] who have learned good sense and, after seeing all these incidents and/or stories of dangerous online occurences, are perfectly capable of maintaining a profile that is highly inaccessible and safer than so many others. I know how many of my fellow teens feel smothered, because I feel the same way *often*. To be quite honest, my parents literally won’t let me walk out of sight of my house when they aren’t home (even when they have run to the store for ten minutes), nor will they let me ride my bike or rollerblade further than the end of my street, much less than a block. It’s very frustrating, especially when I try to talk to them about it and they respond with, ‘Yes, of course we trust you, but we don’t trust the world and want to keep you safe!’ I understand this concept, but there is a point when most good kids can start handling themselves in the real world. And let me just say, the internet is better than the real world. Not safer from the get-go, no, but there are many, many more precautions we can take to keep ourselves safe so that we can just have fun without the creepy stalkers and sex offenders part.
Sorry it’s so long, hope this provides a little insight. ;)

May 26, 2009 at 6:06 pm
(55) huik says:

hi there is no reason that i should not have a facebook… they dont think im responsible ? ive improved and i have gotten a principals award… im very responsible and fb is veryy safe adn i love it
yes alot of my friends have fb and no thats not my reason to go on… it’s to plan exciting (not innapropriate) things with my friends and to talk to experience new things(not bad) adn im 13 …
if you agree please comment
thankyou

June 10, 2009 at 2:27 pm
(56) Me says:

HI Denise! I’m only 13, but I have a couple older friends, 17 and 19, who are still not aloud to watch a rated r movie yet or cell phone each have a facebook of their own. Their parents and my parents have something in common: they are protective of tv and internet. So if they have parents who are protective of the computer, and their children have a facebook, then I guarentee Facebook is very safe. Thanks for your time!

June 20, 2009 at 6:11 pm
(57) Emily says:

facebook is really safe. i have both a myspace and a facebook and i find facebook safer. when you say ‘don’t use my real name’ on facebook it doesn’t and as long as you don’t put any like critical info up it’s really safe. so stop being so parinoid parents!!!

July 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm
(58) J Garza says:

As a parent I think it is quit foolish for another parent to think that they can shield their child from the dangers of living in today’s society. In my mind the reality is quite simple. If you are a responsible parent who supervises the internet activity and has open lines of communication with your children then you are providing your child with the best learning environment. They are exposed to a great deal more than you think at school and at their friends houses where the supervision is at times insufficient.

Everything we do today involves the internet. My 8 year old has a facebook page that I setup for her. She keeps in touch with her grandparents and extended family all over the world with her facebook account. With facebook she is able to keep in touch with her uncle who is serving in Iraq. When we setup her account we did not enter the city she was in so that she would not be in any social networks and we monitor her account on a daily basis.

She is 2 years ahead of other kids in her age group when it comes to computers, reading, and writing because of it. The reality is that by surfing the internet she can be exposed to much more profane and disgusting content by merely searching for cats or dogs. There are great tools available to monitor what websites she is going to and how is is communicating.

In my personal opinion it takes work on the part of the parent, but the rewards can be wonderful for both the child and parent alike. If we empower our children with knowledge and monitor how they use the tools we give them then I think we are helping them to become educated and life experienced individuals who will grow up to be the leaders of our society. If we keep our children in a box with minimal outside influence then we are providing them with a huge disservice and not allowing them to experience their full potential.

Now on the other hand if you are not willing to make the commitment to be involved and spend the time monitoring your childs internet activity then you have no business even having a computer with internet access in the home.

September 9, 2009 at 6:22 pm
(59) fb gurl says:

I think that a major misconception here is that parents hear the word “facebook” and then let their assumptions run wild. Facebook can be safe or unsafe, depending on how you use it.

If your daughter is 16 years old, she should be responsible enough to have facebook. Just advise her on safety and modesty precautions. Here are some general guidelines:

1. Make sure your profile is set to private. This way, only people who you choose to be your friends can view your profile. Anyone else will not even know you have a profile because it will no show up on a name search.

2. Choose a false last name or an initial.

3. Only become friends with people you personally know.

4. Do not post pictures or comments that you would not want your parents to read.

If your daughter follows these guidelines, facebook will be perfectly safe for her. You could even make a facebook yourself and then become “friends” with your daughter so as to monitor her profile.

I think that facebook is a great utility that enhances social relationships and teaches teens about responsibility.Trust you daughter. If she betrays your trust, you can take away the privilege. My own daughter uses facebook to talk to childhood friends, keep up to date on school functions, and interact with her friends.

January 6, 2010 at 7:55 am
(60) Rene says:

Yes we need to protect our kids. But, do we let them go to the movie? Do we let them go to a slumber party? Do we let them out of the house without us? Do we let them get a driver’s license? There comes a time when we have to give them some freedom, but also monitor that freedom. We need to encourage them to make decisions and choices with guidance and monitoring of course. It is scary!!! But, our jobs are to guide them not make all the choices for them. Our family computer is in our living room. I “friended” both of my older kids age 13 and 15 at the time and they of their on volition added me to there friends list. They know that I do monitor here and there, it is not behind there back like snooping. It is a fun way for them to connect with their friends and having grown up on a farm I would have loved being able to connect in this way had it been available to me as a teen. We were very isoloated, and yes I still found ways to get into trouble and dangerous situations. Isolation doesn’t keep our kids safe it just pushes other things to the forefront. The children will find a way to have access, be it at a friends house or on a friends phone etc… with them having it at home at least I have an opportunity to monitor, help and share this part of their lives with them.

January 13, 2010 at 11:23 am
(61) Purposeful Parent says:

It is apparent that many of the young people that have responded believe that parental decisions are largely about whether they are trustworthy, smart or capable. I hope they can understand that this is not generally the case. My son is trustworthy, capable and smart… but there is a whole world full of people out there who are not. An online presence is forever; the security settings and use of the content are the in the sole ownership of Facebook (and changeable at the whim of whomever might eventually own it), most folks don’t understand the implications of the copyright statements and user agreements they enter into when signing up for social networking sites; even if my son won’t cyberbully or exploit others, even just “unwise friends” can (not all classmates are folks I would want to have access to comment on my sons wall); FB applications allow grown-ups to be fooled just as easily… any of you ever receive application notices from some friend who didn’t realize they were sent(?), default behavior often allows application access to your entire friends list on your behalf without you realizing it.

Yes, parents need to help prepare their kids for the real world… but their the best ones to make the decisions about how and when to do that with their own children. Our son will eventually get a FB account, just like his parents have one. But not until we’ve had the chance to really teach him and believe he understands not only the “rules”, but the reasons why rules exist and how to be a good “cyber citizen”.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the discussion, it has been helpful to see what folks are thinking.

January 25, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(62) Parent101 says:

Facebook is exremely safe for kids. You can set the privacy settings, and check up on your kids.

January 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(63) Casey says:

Give your kids a little freedom! You can set the privacy and everything! Do we let them out of the house? Let them have sleepovers? There has never been an incedent on facebook, and you cannot put any bad pictures on, so whats the point of having no freedon? Give your kids a break!

January 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(64) km says:

i am a teen who is really wanting to get facebook. All my friends have it, and I want it too. Unfortunatley, my parents aren’t so sure. They are worried that my personal information can be spread to other people and that bad messages could be sent to me, or about me. They also don’t want my picture to be on facebook. i understand the dangers of facebook, and I know about their new privacy settings, which I would use. Many parents agree with what my parents think, but I think that if you trust your daughter/son and know that they will be responsible enough to let you know if something is wrong, then they are ready to have facebook. I know many parents think that their kids won’t be safe, but you really just have to learn to trust your kid.

January 29, 2010 at 6:05 pm
(65) Chelsea says:

I am also a teen wondering if I should ask my parents for a Facebook account. My friends are always on it, and I feel left out. I am a good student, and have been taught many, many facts about how to be safe on the internet. Do we have to put our real address and stuff? Is it illegal if we do? I am very frustrated. Thanks for the help.

February 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(66) Gwenith says:

its pretty clear that a lot of the parents commenting are like my dad. They think they know everything about it, but they have never been on the site in their lives. no offense to those parents, they just seem like my dad. I love my dad dearly so its not really an offensive comment, depending on how you look at it. I started a petition last year for a facebook and got 7O PEOPLE TO SIGN! but it didnt move my parents, but now that I’ve turned 13, they said there going to look into it. They were also thinking of creating a profile of our family pet and see if that ever gets invaded, so parents, you could try that if you have a pet at home.

March 7, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(67) Jordan says:

I am a teen hoping for a facebook and I think my mom is being way too overcautious. She refuses on letting me and my older sis have one. We tell her all about how the security works and we both are very intelligent and responsible people and my mom knows that. All of our friends have an account, which makes it worse with her saying no. I recently found out that she and my dad have a facebook though. It doesn’t make any sense to me why she has a facebook but won’t let me get one. I am very frustrated.

March 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm
(68) kaity says:

hi, i’m kaity and well i’m 14 and i have overprotective older sister and brother. They don’t think i should get facebook but all of my friends have it and i really want one. but at the same time i’m scared to put all of that information about me on the internet. plus i really don’t trust those safe mode things. i could meet someone who is like 30 and a creep. people do talk to those people and don’t even know it. I’m scared and have no idea what to do. i do have aim which was a LOT of begging to my sis but no one is on aim anymore. and i wanna talk to my friends on the internet. i guess i could use aim for now. but my real question is can i really trust facebook?

May 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm
(69) A Girl That Lives on Earth says:

Facebook is safe with high privacy settings. You think that they can see where you live but not if the privacy settings are set right. With the settings you control who sees what on about everything. It is perfectly safe.

May 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(70) redhead says:

Facebook can be a good thing. I have it. But how many parents honestly know what their child is posting (especially the 14 year old girls that believe they are wise to the world). They are out here, posting photos of themselves practically exposing their breasts, and every seductive pose they can think of. They think because they put in 5 extra “f”s and 6 “k”s in a four letter word, they are not using abusive language. But the context is there. The guys brag about the 6 pack of alcohol they just smuggled into the show. If you read their profiles, the girls are interested in network and looking for “men”. You don’t think they are asking for trouble…guess again. Maybe FB ought to mandate a parental sign-up, along with these kids that want FB and by all means, watch and monitor what your kid is doing.

May 15, 2010 at 10:04 am
(71) SusanL says:

I opened an account on Facebook TWO years ago in order to collect some photographs of a camp I had attended. Then I got sick and tired of people posting to my “wall” with inane idiocrasies and dribble that I closed my account. Even today I get junk mail from people I do not know asking me for dates or just to respond. I cannot “block” these people because I don’t have an account there anymore. I block them on my end but that does not stop the emails. And each of these emails mentions Facebook.

Just be very careful and prepared for inundation of crap.

June 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm
(72) TLL says:

Everyone mentions the security settings and safety they seem to get from this. No one seems to consider that there are admins and other IT profesionals that work for the FB site. By no means am I intending to impune them, but who has never heard about educators that abuse students? If you want to be a predator, you go where you can find prey.

July 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm
(73) Ren says:

You all are overreacting too much. Seriously. I’m 12 now, and have had Facebook since I was eight. Nobody has stalked me, attempted to kill me, sexually assaulted me, or anything of the sort. There are close to ten million users on Facebook, so there’s like… a one in ten million chance that your child will be targeted by some kind of villain. Seriously, chill out! o_O

July 24, 2010 at 12:25 am
(74) teen seeking facebook says:

i am a teen who really wants facebook. however, my parents are like Steph in Boise and are very controlling sometimes. They think that if i got into a fight with one of my friends that they would give all my details out…is this true or am i being decived? can anyone offer any insight?

March 28, 2011 at 6:10 am
(75) Advise_basedon_ur_parents says:

Parents like steph think for good for their child… They want their kids to be safe.

July 25, 2010 at 12:22 am
(76) Dan England says:

Just because you have a filter in place, it can be broken. All filters have work arounds and all she would have to do is boot up a program called sandboxie which doesnt allow the web browser to save to the hard disk which means, your filter would have no knowledge of any activity.

There is no safe filter but back to the point, facebook. The information posted isn’t any more than what any kid in your daughter’s school would know, and for that matter, (if the kid shared the info) anyone the kid knows also has your daughters information etc etc etc etc

First, this imaginary pedophile would have to know her name (if they know that much they already know her in person)
second, any picture can be used, my profile pic is a hand-drawn picture
and third, Your daughter will resent you for over-protecting her and keeping her out of reach of her friends.

July 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm
(77) sevenof400 says:

For those who think FB is safe, please realize that FB is a for profit business. Do you honesty think FB places the safety of your data over making a profit?

Any data on the internet can be hacked and used for nefarious purposes. Use the original FB – write a letter. A letter will be remembered long after the delete key wipes that email from existence.

And besides, the USPS needs the revenue anyway.

September 10, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(78) Audrey says:

Hi my name is Audrey and i am 12.Dont stop reading this just because im a kid because im very responsile and I look at the pros and cons of things myself and not just a friends opinion.Now all my friends are telling me I should get a Facebook because i just moved to a farway state.I would want the closest communication with them I could get and a friend recomended Face book.Now i’ve heard some bad things about Facebook and Twitter and all that stuff because I have never had any of that stuf before.So one night I had a sleepover at a friends house and she showed me her Facebook.This was the first time I had seen a Facebook before.But.. it was alot more apropriate and quieter about personal info. than I thought. only friends tat request you and You say yes to can read anything you write.So if your an adualt and have a kid who wants a Face book talk to them why and the things they will do on it.Also if you have a friend who has a Facebook ask if they could show you what it is realy like on Facebook because it is NOT AT ALL what people say about it.And it’s not like twitter.So get your own opnoin about Facebook and not others. Trust me it helps

September 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm
(79) Wellwisher says:

For all those concerned parents or anyone wondering whether facebook is safe or not, I have something to say. The ownership of the contents a person puts up on the site is unclear. You would think that if you put up pictures of yourself and your friends, etc., and then decide to shut your account for good, there would be no trace of you or your pics on the website’s archive. right? wrong! even though u “deactivated” you account (notice how u cannot “delete” it), facebook, the company, still has your information. the only difference is that, that information is not shared with anyone online. But facebook still HAS your information and can still snoop and can still access you information even though you shut down your account. so what my point here is that once you put stuff up on facebook, it is down in facebook’s archive (and technically the internet as well), and you have no way of regaining control of that information and getting rid of it completely. I don’t know about safety, but the idea that you have no control in deleting stuff you put already is kind of scary and leaves me uncomfortable. So my advice to all who do wish to get an account is that do not put up information or stuff that you do not want to have a possibility of cropping up later after you have deleted you account. its now your choice!

October 6, 2010 at 4:11 pm
(80) abby says:

hi iam a ten yearold and i am trying to convince my mom to let me get one but shes says its not safe but everyone has it but me but i really really want it so yeah plzzzzzzzzzzzzz hellp me like now.

October 30, 2010 at 5:03 am
(81) Amber says:

I’m a 17 year old girl, soon to be 18, in senior year and I’ve had facebook since I was in 8-9th grade. I posed SO many pictures, ‘liked’ SO many pages and wrote SO much on SO many walls and personally, now that I look back I regret it so much. My boyfriend has always told me to be carful about facebook because NEWS FLASH: even if you press ‘delete’, whatever it is, it will stay there forever. Forever might seem a little over the top but it’s not. Facebook will keep your stuff even after you deleted off your account or even if you delete your account. This really scares me because up until now, I didn’t realize really what that meant. It’s too late for me to go back now and erase everything, all I can do is change what I was doing.
In my opinion, facebook is a great way to keep in contact with friends. I moved a lot because of my dad’s job so I was able to talk again with some old friends. However, if I were a parent I’d sit down with my kid and warn them about what to put up on their profile because it’s dangerous and once you do something, you can’t go back. Right now I’m thinking about either deleting my account and making a new one (and of course being more ‘safe’ with the new one) or deleting everything I have on my current account and working from there. Opinions?
GOOD LUCK MOM! :)

November 2, 2010 at 6:10 am
(82) Emma says:

i don’t think kids should have facebook!! should only be for adults, your allowing your children to talk to who they want and open for people to see who they are!! more and more bad people are joining this site every day and your allowing your children on there!! just think you would rather them not go on there and keep them safe than having some stranger look at them on there!!!

November 7, 2010 at 12:12 am
(83) Teenager says:

My dad is a high school principal.
He doesn’t think some stalker is going to stalk me (because you either have to be extremely stupid, or wanting an 80 year old to stalk you).
He deals with a lot of fights that start over facebook, myspace, etc. So he doesn’t want me to have one for that reason. He says people say things on the internet that they wouldn’t say to someones face, then it gets forwarded, etc.
I see the point… but I dunno. It’s no different then email/aim.
So, coming from a high school principal (okay, well he never has directly said this, and I don’t have his permission to post this, but this is what I believe he believes…)- facebook is as safe as you want it to be.

My opinion, kids should have to friend their parents.
I mean, what could happen if your parents are following you?
They see a person they don’t know on your friends list, so they ask you. Some random guy posts on your wall, you post a picture they don’t like, etc.
So what’s wrong with it?
I don’t think they’re is a single security issue that I haven’t covered.
Oh and as for the girls that get… attacked… because of something that started on facebook, obviously those are the same kids that help a stranger find his puppy. I’ve been terrified of people I don’t know that’s tried to talk to me my entire life, because my parents would tell me stories of how children get taken away.
So, if you have parented your child in a way that they know what not to do, there is absolutely nothing wrong with facebook.

Even if you set your profile so people can search you, they’d have to know your name. So what are the odds that some random creeper would search your name? Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t understand that.

By the way, I do not have a facebook at the moment. I’m working on convincing my parents. I’m thirteen years old, and I don’t have a single friend that does not have a facebook. ( I’m not exaggerating.)

Thanks.

June 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm
(84) hummm :/ says:

hi erm im 13 too and i really want facebook so bad but my parents wont listen to me they just think of all the bad thing and not the good things and i no how you feel because i was in my i.c.t class and my teacher said put ur hand up if you have facebook and everone put ther hand up apart from me and im no jokeing i felt like hiding away forever i was so imbaressed i need to get my mum to understand i have a good head on my shoulders and that i wudent talk or acsept anyone i dont no so i guess i will just have to wait and keep trying.

June 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm
(85) Tired says:

I’m 15 and I’m trying to convince my parents also. But today almost everything has a facebook page. Like my Math teacher has a page for math questions. Also my Cotillion teacher has a page with times and updates on our classes. I missed two because I didn’t have a facebook. It’s a real disadvantage because since we live in such a “social” society everyone just kind of assumes that teens have facebooks. And last year I rushed for sorority and had many embarassing pictures posted that I couldn’t even look at. My last point is that with all of our friends having a facebook, we are going to be in photos and mentioned. Even if we don’t have a facebook, we are definitely on facebook.

November 10, 2010 at 5:20 am
(86) lolaXXD says:

i think whatever people are saying is right, but i am a 15 yo girl who have a facebook, but nothing scary happened to me yet, but of-course there are some swearing and abusing, but who cares, they don’t know you and just ignore them, and the most imp. and common sense is to put all your info. opposite, like if you were born on 1994 – just say 1977..n change other info as well,, or something like that, just make it up,,but if u choose to put the real one , then thats your risk, and yeah put a maximum privacy , …

November 16, 2010 at 8:04 am
(87) Abby says:

hey i agree with you but they do have privacy parts on facebook you dont have to put a profile picture in or anything else but your name because only your friends would know

November 28, 2010 at 3:09 pm
(88) dan says:

i thnk teens should have the right to get facebook, if they know the risks, and if they promise to be responsible, but i also thnk that parents looking at ur account is a bad idea, because if uv got a girlfriend/boyfriend on facebook and u dont want ur parents 2 kno cuz ur not ready to tell them, then ur parents will find out against ur will, wich can b annoying sometimes. i think if u know that u can responsibly + independently manage ur account on FB, u will b fine ths basicaly means blocking anyone u dont know who starts talking 2 u and saying bad things, saying N.O to offers on drugs or stuff like tht+blocking the person who offered u thm. i also agree with not putting 2 many pics of urself on FB

December 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm
(89) CD says:

I’m 13, and I just recently got a Facebook. I used a fake name, I used my first name but typed in a common last name. I don’t give any information about myself out, because I can give it to people I know in the real world. But the thing is, Facebook is actually safer than oovoo or skype, because those two sites have your first name, last name, pictures, phone number, location, and your kids can automatically accept anyone and just start video-chatting with them. I suggest you let your kids try Facebook out, but tell them to use a fake last name.

December 13, 2010 at 2:32 pm
(90) jessica says:

i think fb is fine ^^

December 27, 2010 at 10:12 pm
(91) Nathan says:

FaceBook is fine you just have to be careful and have common sense not to click without thinking. I made myself a FB when i was about 13 and a half, (I’m now 15) I Don’t have any seriously problems with facebook and there are enough Privacy settings to completely lock my profile right up from every one if i wanted to, and remember it is up to you what information you put on it.. its not like you have to put every thing in just because it has the option to do so.

January 15, 2011 at 7:05 am
(92) Vanessa says:

I am hopefully gonna get facebook tomorow because its my 13th birthday. But as a precaution he made me read all of the comments on this page. I skipped most of them because I have freinds I can trust, and would never leak my information. And yes Dad, if you are reading this, so what if I posted this? I think I may get hell later on… :(

From a girl with over protective parents

January 23, 2011 at 6:31 am
(93) hannah says:

oh Happy birthday but yeah i am nearly 13 and noone in my family has facebook i really want it as all of my friends have it and its fun to keep in touch wiv friends

i hope that your over protective parents let u have it!!

January 18, 2011 at 12:53 am
(94) ernxs says:

i think FaceBook is fine we just have to be careful and check our kids

January 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(95) FishSandwich says:

Face.

’nuff said

February 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm
(96) Josh says:

Your kidding me? I am of thirteen years of age and I didn’t have to convince my mum because she knows I’m not retarded and would do something like oh hey want to meet up random person who I don’t know and have never seen? Like no and people can only find jot info if u add add them or if u put that info for everyone I’m the world to see which is rather stupid to tbh u can’t get in trouble unless you your self are stupid and a lot of people have it so it’s fine but if you are that dumb to put anything stupid on fb then u must have a really low iq

February 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm
(97) Ana says:

It’s fine as long as your daughter doesn’t add strangers and puts high security. Like when only your friends are allowed to see your profile. Facebook is fun! Plus, there is BILLIONS of girls on facebook and nothing happend to them. For something to happend to you, you have to be dumb enough to put your profile open to everyone and add random people you don’t know. As longest you don’t do that, is fine.

February 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm
(98) nonya says:

people get a clue facebook is totally safe and you have to trust you raised your kid well that she won’t be one of those kids who posts pictures like that

February 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm
(99) dommy john says:

alll u have ta do is change or erase your info im about her age still n skool nd everything nd i got facebook.. she can always sneak nd make 1 herself like alot of us do. just make sure u r aware of woo shes talking too…

February 25, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(100) dommy john says:

she doesnt have 2 put her pictures on there. nd just if she does tell her not to put personal info on there. shes a bit older than me soo if she doesnt have fb now others kids are pressuring her ta get 1…

April 16, 2011 at 6:07 am
(101) Elmo says:

All parents really need to CTF,
We arent little any more and we
Are all well aware of the dangers,
But seriously do you not trust us enough
To let us talk to our friends online where
Other friends can see it?
Its not like we are gonna go to some random
And write “hay wanna meet up??” cause thats
Just stupid. I dont have fb yet cause mi parents
Think im gonna get raped or stlked or smthing
But i’ve got a brain, and i plan on using it well Thankyou very much!!!!

May 11, 2011 at 9:19 am
(102) Darla M. says:

You should totally have a facebook. I’m 17 and I have one. My five year old octuplets each have one with no privacy settings and make a habit of giving out their social security twice week. They haven’t had their identity stolen so yeah.

May 11, 2011 at 9:23 am
(103) Jackie says:

same with me and only one of my octuplets is a drunkl and the other is three months pregnant so there isn’t too much going on with me

June 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm
(104) FB or no FB says:

Is facebook bad? can people actually track down your information when u first sign up for it. Because when u first sign up for it u have to enter your birthday, first name, last name, and email. Is it safe to put in your actual birth date and email? Well thats all i have! Please help me because i would love to have these questions answered. My parents are very protective and then won’t let me have a facebook. I have been researching to see if its bad or not and i just don’t even know. It’s kinda like in between. Well PLEASE help! and thanks you all soo much

July 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm
(105) lolol says:

im younge and i think facebook is very dangerous if you dont act matuurly.like not putting where you live and all your details,first name is ok to put becose its likely there are thousands of people with ur name.but not scond name if i was allowed facebook i wud not be stupid enough to say ye thats right i live at *** number ** that wud be insain so u ppl saying most kids are not good with computers shut yo mouths

July 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(106) Sayla says:

I completely agree with ‘wanting teen.’ I’m a teen and I’m trying to convince my parents to let me have one. Literally all my friends have one, and most of my friend’s parents are extremely protective and careful (even more so that my parents), yet they let their child have one. My mom doesn’t mind me getting one, but my dad is adamant about me NOT getting one. I’ve been raised hearing my parents say, basically, ‘not to take candy from strangers.’ I know that I’m responsible, and I would never friend random people. I’m willing to give my mom my password so she can check up on me any time. Although I wouldn’t know from personal experience, all my friends and friends’ parents say that it’s safe as long as you’re careful, and it’s really useful to keep in touch with far-away friends.

August 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(107) marie says:

yes it is it depend on how u use it but on privacy and if some1 adds u dont add them right away check how many of ur friend also knows dat person also if its a relative check if theirs any other relative that also know that person and if some1 u dont know at all block or report them facebook is safe also dont give out anything personal and have a 1 year friend list where you check your friend list to see who u remember and who you dont and the ones you dont block or unfriend them also again lol dont make your password obviece im 13 have a facebook use these and nothing happened also if you go to a friends house and use their facebook make sure oyu logg off

November 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm
(108) Cam says:

I asked my paretns for facebook and I am only 12. I am very responsable and my parents are thinking about it, i have about 50 friends who go on Facebook. I don’t have to add photos and I can set my pirvacy settings to make it as safe as it could be. I have been lectured on everything about internet safety and hacking and everything, but if I just stay to my friends and in my schools network, I won’t be found by a hacker as easily.

January 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm
(109) Granville says:

Kids… Its not that we (Parents) dont trust our kids. I dont trust the small percentage of DODGY poeple that can harm our kids through places like FACEBOOK. I work at a prison and see the worst of society and the amount of criminals that use sites such as these to get information and start to build profiles is scary. Parents please love your children enough to protect them from these bad, evil people. Make your internet security THE highest priority when using a computer. The puiblic have no idea on just how twisted that people are. Love and protect your children at all costs

February 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(110) THEFACTS. says:

FACTS ABOUT FACEBOOK:

- It is possible to be completely unsearchable. Look it up. So the myth that “anyone can find you” is just that–a myth.

- Facebook often has useful study guides and groups for certain classes that a user may be taking in school.

- Teens aren’t stupid. The reason that stories of teens being exploited are on the news is because they’re exciting and rather uncommon. The whole purpose of featuring that kind of news is so that paranoid parents will keep their eyes glued to the screen.

- Facebook is often useful to contact others for not only socializing, but also for homework help.

FACTS ABOUT TEENS:

- The less you appear to trust them, the less they actually trust you. You may only be trying to protect them, but they don’t see it that way. You run the risk of them making an account behind your back (and making the account unsearchable).

- They are willing to compromise. Limit photo uploads, and check in on their account once in a while if something seems to be wrong.

- Teens know that what they post on Facebook can be seen by colleges and future bosses. Again, they’re not stupid. If you know your teen is responsible, trust him or her to act responsibly.

- If many or all of your teens’ peers have a Facebook, you are essentially pulling your kids away from their friends by not letting them have an account. They miss out on news, interaction, and invitations. It is not only frustrating, but also emotionally damaging for teens to repeatedly hear “Don’t you know? It was on Facebo–oh, wait, you don’t have a Facebook” from friends.

The site is not the mindless, irresponsible, and dangerous place you think it to be. If the users know what they’re doing, Facebook serves educational purposes and rounds out your teen’s social relationships with others. Again, you can check in on your teen’s account once in a while (don’t take advantage of this or your teen will stop trusting you, ruining your relationship).

March 10, 2012 at 7:19 am
(111) Daddy's Son says:

Had a account…deleted it its not safe at all.The most common reason of having a fb account is to be in contact with our friends well the people who are dear to us will always be in contact b’coz we will never break the bond….so internet is a bad idea…the man who works in prison is correct people in this world have dual nature you can’t trust anyone.I’m not saying that social networking sites are bad but people are not using it in a positive way so just stay away after all PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.I’ll specially say this to my teenage friends no one in this world love you more than your parents if they are saying no then its for a reason.I’m 17 year old i asked my parents about having an account they said no..I had arguments they said use it and then decide…they were correct nothing is private on fb everything is public it dosen’t matters if you have private settings.I was mature enough to use fb , i never added strangers in my friend list yet the informations can leak .So its my personal opinion stay away….use internet for gathering knowledge but never make it a part of your personal life and trust your parents THEY ARE NEVER WRONG!!!

July 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm
(112) dual diagnosis treatment says:

For alcohol and substance abuse patients, they tend to private medicate as one result to features
and functions addiction.
Plenty of people dont keep in mind that there is probably
no one natural test that will certainly
be used to diagnosis bipolar disorder.

August 29, 2012 at 7:45 am
(113) link says:

hey there and thanks on your information ? I’ve certainly picked up something new from proper here. I did however experience several technical points using this site, since I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I have been thinking about if your web host is OK? No longer that I am complaining, however slow loading cases instances will very frequently have an effect on your placement in google and could harm your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I am including this RSS to my email and could glance out for much more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this once more soon..

September 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(114) hey says:

YOU SEE FACEBOOK IS REALY safe compared to other websites..only thing is that ur teen should me matured to handle……………u should check out what she is doing but give her a space..or she will feel like u r spying on her……….man…fb is really really safe

September 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm
(115) A step parent says:

Here is something for people with kids to look at.
Had a problem with my step 12 yr old daughter talking with someone, a friend from FB only. It was a chat or something and it got posted on her page about being someones slave, bondage and stuff.
Problem she lives with mom and we don’t have control over the account. What mom is going to do ???
SO i got looking and found this..

Its free, works on more then one account and you can get to the reports from your smartphone.

October 15, 2012 at 6:02 am
(116) Zoila says:

Му spouse anԁ I stumbled over
here by a diffeгent pagе and thought
I should сheck things οut. Ι like what I see ѕo now i am
following you. Look fогward to looκing οver your web page reρеatedlу.

December 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm
(117) Twila says:

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I may I want to recommend you few fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I want to read more issues approximately it!

my page :: Twila

December 23, 2012 at 4:15 am
(118) new payday loan lenders says:

This post will assist the internet users for setting up new website or even a weblog from start
to end.

December 24, 2012 at 2:32 am
(119) home cures for gallstones says:

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.

You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just
posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving
us something enlightening to read?

December 28, 2012 at 3:20 am
(120) Valen Erap says:

There’s a great new book called, Unblocked: The Blocked Side of Facebook, which shows the real side of Facebook for teenagers. This is the side of Facebook parents don’t see. Please if you have a teenager or soon to be teenager – this is a must read! As a bonus there’s a Slang and Emoticon Dictionary in the back of the book. For a short time Amazon is offering $5off Unblocked at https://www.createspace.com/3689179.
Promo Code: UTGYQQHB

January 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm
(121) humor pictures says:

It’s an awesome paragraph for all the online viewers; they will get benefit from it I am sure.

My blog :: humor pictures