1. Parenting

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Teen Boys Have a Pack Mentality

By November 13, 2007

Parents see it as their teenís friends, the professional term is peer group, but the media is now giving a teens being together another term: pack mentality. Perhaps they felt the need because of the image of a pack of wolves, which fits in the news story about the two boys who killed Daniel Sorensen, a Detroit man. According to the article on Freep.com, it was a hideous crime that would have probably not been committed had the boys not been together. It cites national statistics, Ďteens ages 14-17 are more likely to commit crimes with accomplices than people in other age groups.í

Still, there has to be something else going on there, like drug use. While Iíll agree that teens do crazier things when they are with their peers, there are other problems at play when a pair of teen boys murder. Do you agree? Let me know what you think in the comments section.

Comments
November 14, 2007 at 9:03 pm
(1) Michelle says:

I totally agree. To a teenager, Friends are everything and the only ones they truly trust. You would die for your friends at this age. Their acceptance means everything to you. When you bare your soul to them, you form a tight bond. Until you have more experience. Until a friend betrays that trust, like a first love, that friendship can control everything you do.

Scarey, huh?

November 23, 2007 at 9:10 pm
(2) Doris says:

I don’t know what it’s like elsewhere, but where my sons go to school, it’s the girls that are like a pack of wolves, not the boys. The girls are scary scary scary.

March 3, 2008 at 12:01 pm
(3) Lisa says:

my o my, so this is happening in America as well?! have a read at this

January 30, 2009 at 12:37 am
(4) A teenager says:

Weren’t you a teenager once? As adults, are you still pressured to do something you might not if you were alone? Perhaps you end up eating another piece of cheese cake, or perhaps you go on a vacation you really can’t afford, all because it is “advised.” It’s the same way with teens. We’re in the moment, everyone else is going along with it, it seems like fun…if it is something tragic (like murder) then there are definately other causes. The pack mentality definately makes doing something easier, but does not create the act. That would be the individuals. Someone had to have suggested it; someone had to have created such a plan.

July 23, 2009 at 11:50 am
(5) lewys says:

i think its because teenage development makes us (im 17) question everything we’ve been taught or told by the society we grow up in, like morals or commonly held values. so to these teenagers the crimes thay have commited may not have registered as being ‘wrong’ because they may have developed views of their own that differ dramatically to everyone elses.

October 21, 2009 at 8:13 am
(6) Teresa says:

i’m scared that my son has to grow up in this world;have things changed a lot or has it always been that mentality amongst teens? i remember as a teenaged girl that yes, while you wanted to fit it, you still had a moral compass inside that dictated right from wrong;is this not true amongst boys as well? when i knew something was wrong, i’d try to stop it or walk away;i never joined the pack to belong;was i different or was i just more confident in who i was and/or wanted to be? i don’t know what the answer is, but i’m glad i didn’t have the “pack” mentality!

January 7, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(7) Fatima says:

i am afrid of my brother he goes to any woman and tell her he loves her so i wish him goodluck

November 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm
(8) Monica says:

Well i think that is kina is the pack mentality.. I dont think its more with boys or more with girls.. It evens out.. I tell you right now, I have females this day trying to gang up on me.. i have had guys do it before to.. but i stand for myself. I also have friends that would stand for me as well. well i kno of one that will. she has defended me when a guy hit me.. I trust no females but ONE. nd the females in my family.. same with guys. i trust NO guys but the ones in my family. Its sad that our world has some of us thinking this way, but its life.. We have to live in it and deal with it every where we go..
Its Sad !