1. Parenting

17-Year-Old Won't Wake Up, Any Advice?

By February 27, 2009

Quick Links: Quiz: Is your teen a slacker?

From a parent on the forum: My 17 year old girl has always had a problem getting herself up in the morning. It seems no matter what time she goes to bed, she will not wake up to her alarm clock. A while back, we got "The World's Loudest Alarm Clock." All it has done is wake the rest of the house, while she continues to sleep. It can literally go off for an hour and she will just keep sleeping. We've tried not waking her and letting her be late and suffer those consequences, as well as waking her at the last minute and making her go to school without showering, makeup, etc.

We recently had some luck by creating a punishment of taking away her cell phone when we have to wake her. However, that incentive has now faded. Suggestions?

Asking our community of parents: Do you have a teen who has a hard time getting out of bed? Share your advice and experiences in our comments area.

More: Quiz: Is your teen a slacker? | Help Your Teen Wake Up in the Morning

Connect With Denise: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
February 27, 2009 at 8:42 am
(1) Denise says:

I would look for an underlying reason of why my child doesn’t want to go to school or get up. It isn’t the alarm clock. My child does have this problem also. My child suffers from depression. My child also deals with anxiety and if my child is behind or has something difficult to deal with, then getting up is very difficult. Also, when my child has a long weekend or break from school, the first day back to the routine is very difficult and waking up and going to school is a difficulty.

February 27, 2009 at 8:50 am
(2) Sara says:

My 17 year old son is the same way. I too had tried taking away the cell, computer, tv, going to bed early, late for school, etc. I told him that if he doesnt get up for me then i will dump water on him. After the 3rd time each morning, that is what i do. Does it tick him off? sure does, but i dont have the time to keep going in there like he is 5 yrs old again. Most mornings, he is up by the 3rd time i walk in. Its like he can almost can hear the faucet being turned on!

July 31, 2011 at 11:47 am
(3) Michael says:

Same exact problem. And now the water fails too. My son is 17. Even if he gets up… he’ll shortly disappear and be back in his room sleeping. He says he doesn’t want to sleep. He actually gets angry if I don’t force him to get up. If I don’t wake him, he’ll sleep the entire day…. and never even get up to go to the bathroom. (Without wetting the bed).

He goes to bed normally… but unless he’s up and interested in something specific… back to sleep. I am at a loss and can’t afford medical or psychiatric help. Completely at my wits end, as he is a straight-A student and absolutely a brilliant mind …. when he’s awake he’s like Einstein.

August 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm
(4) Rosangela says:

I believe, parents and children need to do some spiritual foundaton. Not every thing in life is center on external or material matters. We need to nurture our spiritual self with good lements of vitality. We need to feed our spiritual self that means we need to start a foundation of spiritual elements, reading the Bible or others religious, prayer, try to ready loud also need to do some kind of charity, help ohers. Based on spiritual foundation we can enrich our spiritual self and could solve some different kind of problems. Our body is condicioned with all material things. Food, tv, fashion, sports, phone, party and our spiritual self is getting weaker and weaker

February 27, 2009 at 8:59 am
(5) Gretchen says:

The only advice I have is to stick to your punishment of the cell phone, if you dont then she wont believe you, when you say you are going to be taking it away.

Im pretty lucky, My daughter gets up every morning all by herself, shes 14, sometimes she wakes me up! Im pretty lucky.

February 27, 2009 at 9:12 am
(6) DGP says:

My daughters and I all have this same issue. A regular alarm clock will not wake us up, it can go off for hours. It’s because your body gets used to the same alarm sound over the years and you don’t respond to it. Try using a different type of alarm sound. I started setting the alarms on my cell phone and it works like a charm because you can choose different music/sounds that grab your attention and you can set multiple alarms. We haven’t had a problem since. Hope it helps.

February 27, 2009 at 9:13 am
(7) wendy says:

it could be a medical condition my sister has this problem and is now on treatment -mysticuloses – sorry not sure how you spell it, but check her out – rather be safe than sorry, good luck, hope it is nothing serious

February 27, 2009 at 9:18 am
(8) MomHon says:

I second the effectiveness of “the water treatment,” as it’s always been called in my family. My grandfather started it when my mom & her sibs were pre-teens, and that was almost 75 years ago. Tell them ahead of time: I’ll give you 5 minutes, or 2 warnings, or whatever lead-up time you choose, and then a cold glass of water gets dumped on your head. After a couple of times they believe it. Yes, it’s possible they’re bummed about being overdue or late for an assignment or something like that – so what? Don’t buy into treating them as though they can’t handle life, or they’ll believe it about themselves. As long as you’ve established there’s nothing seriously wrong at school – a bullying or sexual harrassment situation, for example – they’ve got to get up & get to school, and they don’t have the right to disrupt the whole household in the effort. Are they staying up too late? Is that why it’s hard to get up? Then they need to make the connection between cause and effect. You’re too tired to get up because you stayed up ’til 5 am finishing a paper you were assigned 2 weeks ago, or texting your friend(s)? Gee, that’s too bad – you must be miserably tired. You can go to sleep earlier tonight! Adults don’t feel like getting out of bed either lots of times, but they do because they’ve learned they have to if they want to keep their jobs/be good parents/because people are depending on them/fill in the blank with your reason here! 2 warnings, then the glass of cold water dumped on their head. Works every time with all kinds of kids. All mine have to hear is the water running and they’re up. If it doesn’t, then your child needs a physical and mental health evaluation, because something is seriously wrong with them if they lie there in the water.

February 27, 2009 at 9:26 am
(9) Linda says:

Maybe seeing a natural Doctor would offer answers; like a Chiropractor that looks at the whole person, Including nutrition & habits. (Food allergies can wreak havoc as well)

People will withdraw from things they are not excited about, or feel pressure from, this is natural. If your daughter has an underlying problem, be it mental or physical, taking things away will not ignite her interest, but more than likely make the situation worse.

As most parents, I want my children to be personally responsible, and enjoy the benefits of their actions. I have four children, three are self motivated and generally healthy, one has asthma & food allergies, and tends to blame others and withdraw from life, when he consumes the Standard American Diet (SAD). When he is eating well, his behavior and attitude is bright & hopeful. Taking things away from this son would only enrage him; we’d tried this, and were very consistent. His response was to stop doing homework, steal things for the thrill, and skip school!

Children with depression issues will get more depressed and cop attitudes like, “Take it all, I don’t care”…

Get professional help!

I wish you the best!

February 27, 2009 at 9:40 am
(10) D.D. says:

I have the same problem!! My son turned 18 Dec. 26th. He’ll graduate in June. He was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 11/06. I’ve been having this problems for the last year or so. So recently, I stop waking him up, and would leave at 7am as always. He’ll have to a ride with our neighbor, who is always late. He’ll tell me I’m not a good mother for leavin him. I ‘ll tell him that in the real world, if this was a job he was getting up for he woud have been fired for being late.

February 27, 2009 at 9:57 am
(11) steelmom says:

My 17 year old also has difficulties waking up in the morning, no matter how early he goes to bed. In my experience, this is rather common among teenagers, boys or girls, and not a reason to worry. The only thing that gets him out of bed without problems is when his friends call him or text him to wake him up, especially if he knows they are meeting at school before class. You might want to try the power of friendship to your advantage.

February 27, 2009 at 10:16 am
(12) Francine says:

I would make sure there is not a blood sugar problem.
That can make it very difficult to wake up in the morning.

February 27, 2009 at 11:01 am
(13) MomInOhio says:

I agree with others that you should look for an underlying problem first. My 17-year-old had this issue, long story short, she has orthostatic intolerance, which makes waking and getting going in the mornings difficult. She has other symptoms as well and is now going to school online. (anxiety, racing heart, sluggishness, trouble focusing, intermittent blurry vision, fatigue, sensitive to loud noises and crowds). Go to http://www.dinet.org – POTS Place. If her health is good after getting a physical, consider vitamins and tough love. :o ) Best of luck!

February 27, 2009 at 11:15 am
(14) Nancy says:

Teens are not wired to get up at 6:00 A.M. They are wired to go to bed late and sleep in. It is brutal for them. Teens must accomodate the school schedules. Our teens would do much better if the school starting time would be switched with the elementary age students. K-6 start at 7:30 and teens at 9:00. But this would impose on the after school sports practice, etc. No win I yes, unless we do as Germany and keep our sports program separate from academics.

March 22, 2011 at 8:27 pm
(15) NightOwl says:

AMEN, and THANK YOU. Speaking as a teenager, I have been trying to get people to listen to me about this for years. I would also like to point out that schools started at later times until fairly recently, and there was still adequate time for jobs/sports then.

February 27, 2009 at 11:26 am
(16) Lee says:

When our son was in high school it was amazing to us that he could sleep through an alarm that would stay on for over an hour. So it’s not as uncommon as you think, especially with kids with ADD.

You’ve gotten a lot of really good advice in the previous comments.

In our son’s case, we eventually figured out that three things were in play:
1) He was experiencing real physical pain from an accident he had had years before.
2) The immobility caused by the physical pain created an anxiety about going to school in general, since it made him very sad that he couldn’t participate in everything “like a normal person.”
3) We would sometimes engage in angry words with him about what he needed to do. In retrospect this was a huge mistake on our part. The most important thing a parent can do is create a sense of emotional safety for everyone in the family. If you say you love them but treat them angrily, then they can’t really count on your love. Furthermore, you can only influence someone with whom you have a strong connection, and connections are built on trust and predictability; so you have to be consistent too, or they won’t know what to expect. I can’t stress enough how important it is to always treat your kids with respect and love, even when and especially when you disagree with them. That will maintain the connection. It’s our job to remain calm, to model rational yet empathetic and respectful behavior to them. Then they’ll sense beyond any shadow of a doubt that you’re on their side.

The best way to prepare them for the freedom of college is to respect that they must make their own decisions. The school will deal with them. Don’t undermine their ability to think for themselves by telling them what to think. Instead, ask questions (without sarcasm!) about what they plan to do and what consequences they think that will have.

Good luck! Our son is now doing quite well in college, thank you!

February 27, 2009 at 12:09 pm
(17) karen says:

Lots of good advise here, good diet and exercise generally make a person feel better. A Friend of mine had a daughter that this happened to, and there was somthing wrong with her hearing, which (among others) was impacted on the state between sleep and wakefulness. She got her an alarm that was intended for the deaf which vibrated here mattress. For her that worked.

February 27, 2009 at 12:21 pm
(18) Julie says:

Teen sleep patterns may be incredibly frustrating, but there are biological reasons for their difficulty waking in the morning. Our brains release a sleep inducing chemical called melatonin. In adults, it happens around 7:00p.m. In teens it happens much later in the evening. That’s why they always argue about going to bed and say they’re not tired. They’re really not. The trick is, their bodies are growing rapidly during puberty, so they actually require more sleep, 9.5 hours to our 8, to feel good. So obviously, that makes it more difficult to get up. You can read more about it here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/health/sleep-teens.html

We have this same trouble with our 14 year old son. I’m not suggesting that you just let your child sleep in and be late, but I think throwing a glass of cold water in his face is unreasonable and is a lousy way to start the day. My son sets his alarm for about 45 minutes before he needs to be up so he can hit the snooze button several times and not be jolted awake. He knows what time is the absolute last time he can snooze it and usually gets up on his own on that last snooze. Sometimes, if he is particularly tired, he will not wake up at all when the alarm goes off. On those mornings, I have to wake him. I give him some incentive by making sure there’s a good, hot breakfast for him if he’s up on time. He still doesn’t get out the door on time every day, but he knows he has to deal with the consequences if he doesn’t make it. His school makes him come on Saturday morning for a four hour detention if he has too many tardies. He’s had to do that twice. Unfortunately, there’s no simple answer to this. It’s finding what works for your child, but I think you need to be a little more understanding considering their biological challenges and help them find a solution that makes getting up and starting the day a pleasant experience. Life is difficult enough.

February 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm
(19) Tamara says:

Put up the blinds before she goes to sleep. The light may help. If you have zoned temperature control, make it too hot or cold in there starting during the night. By wake-up time, the room may be less than ideal for sleeping. Another option- find an alarm clock that can record & play your voice. Some studies suggest kids respond to our voices better than sounds.

February 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(20) Annie says:

It’s difficult to pinpoint due to missing information, but perhaps she is unable to sleep due to overstimulation all day. MySpace, Facebook, texting, television, music all bombard our senses and then when its time to go to sleep – the mind just keeps going. By the time she finally does fall asleep, it could be 4am. I had a similar issue due to continued internet, texting and talking into the wee hours. I had to literally disconnect the monitor and take the cel phone at 9pm. She still is slow and pokey in the morning – but the improved sleep seemed to help.
She could also be smoking pot, drinking or doing other things that cause lethargy. However, if you are confident she is not doing that, a visit to the doctor is in order for depression or some other physical issue.

February 27, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(21) Abdelhak says:

Your daughter is behaving in a very normal way.If she doesn’t want to wake up,it is just because there is nothing worth being woken up for.School is not attractive to her.the best way to solve this problem is to let her boy friend or friends call hert b the morning.after less than a week,she will get used to wake up eralier and the problem will be solved.

February 27, 2009 at 2:19 pm
(22) Mom Arlenna says:

When I was 17 I felt ugly and not with it. I did not want to go to school anymore, I was tired of it & was going to quit. I came home early one day.(My hair was dirty, & I just wasn’t feeling my best.) I was sure my parents would let me stay. I hated them for making me go right back to school. When they took a firm stand (No big scene, just simply “You do not get to decide you’re not attending school.”…and then drove me back.) I learned to do the things that helped me have a better day or at least tolerable. I was still a wallflower but I didn’t croak. I finally finished high school and made many mistakes and still felt a million miles away from my parents but when I was 23 years old, I couldn’t wait to tell my parents “Thank You and I love you for teaching me to be a responsible adult. Thank you for all the times you said No and didn’t give me everything I wanted.”
I do believe the “water treatment is in order”. You do not want your daughter living with you when she’s 35. Do not enable her. You are the parent. Believe in your judgement.

February 27, 2009 at 3:28 pm
(23) Karen Darnell says:

I agree with all who have mentioned a health issue. My son has the very same problem and has kicked himself for years. I’ve always known that it couldn’t be his fault because he couldn’t get up even when he wanted to.
I took him to an acupuncturist. She had him on adrenal formulas and a couple of amino acids. Works for him. Then, too, as a TCM-trained herbalist, I have him on a formula to strengthen his Water element.
He’s doing so much better now. Good luck!

February 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm
(24) Regina says:

Hi,
My 15 year old was just diagnosed with narcolepsy, after a year of bloodwork coming back normal, no anemia, no thyroid problems, no mono, etc. The docs told me he was either dpressed, school phobic or on drugs. Since I know my own son, I kept pushing and got a sleep study. Yup, narcoleptic. And it’s not always like in the movies where they pass out suddenly and plop their head into their bowl of pasta. My son’s symptom (EDS-excessive daytime sleepiness) are his only ones, and he simply cannot get out of bed in the AM, would sleep all day. Would get violent (and now I understand why) if physically tried to remove him from the bed, or pull the water thing (in this case it was abusive to him in my opinion. He was ill, not lazy) We are currently trying to find a med that works for him, but I just ysterday decided to home school as he still cannot get there. His best hours are from 5 PM-12 AM, and that’s when he’ll do his work.
Not saying this is your daughters problem, but since most people suffer for 15 years before diagnosis (and are labeled lazy) we were very lucky to get it diagnosed in one year, as only 4% of kids under 15 years are diagnosed. This means there are A LOT OF KIDS out there with it….just undiagnosed.
Good Luck, and have faith in yourself, and your knowledge of your child.

February 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm
(25) Cathy says:

My daughter was going through the same thing, and we found out she was texting her friends at all hours of the night. We gave her a warning about late night texting, and eventually had to turn off the texting. That solved the problem

February 28, 2009 at 10:45 am
(26) Naomi says:

I love these forums. You have all helped me to stand firm on my often waffle like decisions. My son has a myriad of health issues but he has to take the responsibility for them. I am so done with the nagging. It is time for him to grow up and start being an asset to our home. Water starts on Monday!! Again many many heartfelt hugs from cold, cold, cold, Canada.

February 28, 2009 at 1:06 pm
(27) Joan says:

I’ve read last week, that teenagers in general have a difficulty going to sleep early, say 9 or ten, and do better when they are awake until 11PM. Of course they will need to sleep later as a result. Unfortunately, schools have had to keep to early schedules in order to accomodate the mechanics of the building, transportation, teacher responsibilities, etc. If only teens could sleep later, they would be alert by say 10AM, instead of 7 or 8AM probably three hours after classes begin the teaching day at this time. Perhaps more flexible schedules should be tried in order to accomodate this characteristic.

March 1, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(28) Cindy says:

I used to spray my sons with a water bottle. Yes they got mad.. but and all… but they did learn. I have 3 kids… and way back when… one of my son’s would not get out of bed… until we were ready to leave, and often made the other two late for school. And since I was driving them all I had to tough-love it and leave him there. It WAS SOOO HARD because it used to be a 30- 45 minute ride each way. But… he did come around before I completely lost it. Now… He’s doing great in college too. Thank GOD!

March 1, 2009 at 10:07 pm
(29) Diana says:

You should start recording her sleep patterns, and take her to a sleep specialist if necessary. I had a lot of trouble with my 13 year old, and it wound up that his asthma was a lot worse, and he was having a lot of trouble going and staying asleep. The sleep specialist told me that sleep issues can be misinterpreted as all types of other problems like ADHD, depression and non-compliance. Worth a try.

March 2, 2009 at 12:15 pm
(30) Jenny says:

My two teenagers tend to get up later and later as the school year progresses, until they grab their backpack at the very last minute and race to meet the school bus. I have started charging them $20 each (for my gas and my time to drive them to school) each time they miss the bus, and this has definitely encouraged them to be on time! This school year, my daughter has only been late 3 times, my son just once.

We also have everything ready for school the night before and quick items to grab for breakfast, so they don’t have to get up too early, but don’t feel rushed.

March 3, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(31) Thomas says:

All I have to say is Amazing! I have a 17yr old teen who for the most part does not get out of bed for school.

This is his final year and with hopes he wont blow it. He was kicked out of his last high school with similar patterns.

My son lives with my Ex-Wife…whom he doesn’t listen to very much..if not at all. I am constantly having to deal with him for many ongoing issues.

She is preparing herself to ask him to leave, being at wits end. Living with me is an option but my daughter left her Mom’s as well and currently resides with me. she is 15 and the relationship between her brother, her Mom, and myself is awesome! so I dont want to ruin that.

I desperatley try not to interfere at my ex’s home, but if i dont then he does not do anything around the house, leaving my ex wife (single mom) to feel disrespected, and emotionally upset not knowing which way to turn.

I feel many times he is taking advantage of her, and needs to start being more responsible. He is ADHD which makes it somewhat more challenging. He plays video games, computer, and loves to read a good book. He is very intelligent, caring and thoughtful when he wants to be.

Is there any other seperated Dads that are experiencing this role?

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

regards

March 4, 2009 at 10:04 am
(32) Elli says:

I usually turn my son’s light on about 45 min before he has to leave, knowing that he won’t get up at that point. Then I go in every few minutes and talk to him as his little sister get’s ready. Then about a half hour before he needs to leave, if he still isn’t up, I tell him he needs to get up now. If he still isn’t up by a quarter till, then I threaten once with a cup of cold water, and he’s up! I only had to pour cold water on him once, and boy was he mad! However, I’ve never had to do it again. Also, he is a younger teen, and appearances are important, so I make him go when the bus gets here, at whatever point he is at in getting ready, even if that means he is in his pj’s going out the door with a banana in his hand for breakfast on the go! By the way, he also has ADHD, and I hear this is very a very common problem with that! Good luck!

March 9, 2009 at 12:56 am
(33) SleepLover says:

I am 34 years old and have had trouble getting out of bed in the morning since I was little. After many, many, many years of my parents and I thinking there was something wrong with me, and also my parents thinking I was just a lazy teenager, I told my doctor. She sent me for a sleep study and it turns out I have moderate sleep apnea. I could sleep (and have) for 12 hours at a time, wake up, and be extrememly tired again within 2 hours…ready to go back to bed again. I would definitely take her to a doctor and demand a sleep study, I guarantee she has a sleep disorder

March 13, 2009 at 10:46 am
(34) John says:

We have a son that is 14 yrs old, we had dicipline problems with him in the past. We finally wound up sending him to a military style school sponsored by our County. In exchange, we were to attend parenting classes. It was an immense help. Now we set up a contract outlining our greivances with our son. we ask for his. we set up rules and regulations ( ie: no disrespect in our house, no lying, no stealing, etc…) then a set of of consequences are outlined first infraction (mild) second offense (medium to get their attention..) and third severe. We had thnis problem of sleeping through the alarm also. It didn’t take but the third offense. A 99 cent spray bottle filled and placed in the fridge, is a constant reminder also. A whole glass of water dumped creates an additional laundry problem that was not welcome. The spray bottle set to a heavy stream is most effective. Keep spraying until their feet hit the floor and they are standing. Then they must be reminded of the contract, very matter of factly, without emotion, this is how its going to be. There is a subliminal affect to leaving the spry bottle in the fridge, that every time our son goes looking in the fridge for a snack, he is reminded again and again. After the second spraying it never happened again!! ( unless he forgot to set his alarm…same consequence..)

April 28, 2009 at 10:11 am
(35) Nicole says:

I am 23 and have an incredible difficult time waking in the morning. I sleep 9-13 hours a day and my three loud alarms with different sounds go for an hour or more before I wake up (if i wake up) to them. If it was laziness I wouldn’t be here trying to figure out what’s wrong with me. Thank you for the advice on possible health issues that I may have and I feel sorry for the children that have had water dumped on them in the morning. How would you feel if every morning of your entire life you woke up to people yelling at you and throwing water on you and then later had to also face the consequences of being late to work, being late school, or missing rendezvous’ with your friends or late to other obligations? Not everything can be solved through fear and anger.

June 24, 2009 at 11:15 am
(36) Amber says:

My daughter is going to college this year and I am very afraid for her because she cannot waike up since she was a young girl. She cannot wake up even if she takes a nap in the afternoon. She sleeps like she is dead. I stand in front of her yelling, shaking her, pulling her. Her alarms go off and wake the household but not her. She’s 19 and just stopped wetting the bed because she could not wake up. Please help, I have to go with her to NY for college because I don’t know how she will manage without someone to protect her and wake her.

July 5, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(37) chrisi says:

well i would pour hot soup on her face. it always works for me. i am 34 and i have a 17 year old. i that does not wortk then i would por ice all over her. i did this just the first day of the summer and now my 17 year old wakes up at 6 every morning and on school days she waske up at 4 to get ready. it is fabiouso. i never have to wake her up anymore. the latest she has slept in so far is 6:30. and now she gets better sleep. i would do this as soon as you can so that she can get used to waking up early. so it soon so she can be used to it for school. and please dont ask about my email it is just that my daughter made it for me cause i am 34. i have no idea how to use computers. i spoil my daughter because she wakes up early and does chores WITHOUT me asking. life is fab for both. she appreciates what i go though for her now. i love it and so does she. i have no more stuggling. i only had to do it for my daughter once! now she is the best ever! my life was half way to being perfect and now it is perfect. i feel like she is a little girl again!!! she is sweet! i love it :) please take my advice. all of my adult friends did it and now their daughters and even their sons!!!!! ~soon. thank you

October 9, 2009 at 12:54 pm
(38) Vickie says:

PLEASE have a sleep study done for your daughter! We had similar issues with our son. Many people, including his doctors,thought it was normal teen behavior or he needed more sleep, or it was behavioral etc. After a sleep study and Johns Hopkins Hospital we found that he had a serious sleep disorder requiring him to sleep with oxygen from now on. Before you punish her, please rule out any underlying health issues. They are real!

October 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm
(39) jhg says:

I have the really loud clock also. It comes with a light and a vibrator device that really shakes the bed. It also has many different sound pitches and tones. Maybe this would help.
There were many good comments above about medical issues. Keep persisting with the doctor, or try a few other doctors until you find one that will run some tests.

October 18, 2009 at 10:50 am
(40) CATHY says:

more than likely its her cell phone. take her phone away on school nights,we remove the phone at 10p, and our daughter gets the phone back the next morning. if she is late to school we keep the phone for the day, 2days late in one week and we keep the phone saturday(24hrs).

December 14, 2009 at 7:01 pm
(41) Matt says:

Wake her up.. pull her out of bed or pour water on her, She needs to realize shes hurting her future to. If she goes out with friends at night chances are she could quite possibly be using drugs and as a past marijuana user i can say that it would not effect getting up in the morning but if she is drinking like 99% of teens do and don’t tell there parents that could be one possible cause for this problem. Another could be that she is depressed and from personal experience i know that depression had kept me in bed. If she has any symptoms of depression and this being one of them i would recommend getting her counselling.

February 15, 2010 at 9:21 am
(42) Yoav says:

You may try the solutions presented in http://www.simply-wakeup.com
it works for me as well as for my teenage children and nephews

March 22, 2010 at 3:34 am
(43) Anonymous says:

Taking your child’s cellphone is a horrible punishment, and I would like to see you take parenting classes. I have delt with my mom punishing me for not waking up for years. I have woken up confused to find a laptop taken away for something I do not remember doing. It is the most confusing and annoying thing you can imagine to wake up with your mom still yelling at you for not wanting to get up, even though when she began yelling at you, you were asleep the whole time. There are other methods of waking someone up, but do not punish them for doing something as natural as sleeping. It is not their fault.

October 8, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(44) mamaw says:

my child has ceberal palsy and sometimes falls asleeps at school even when he had a really good restful night of sleep. the school always wants me to take him home when he sleeps but as soon as i get there he wakes up. What can i do? His doctor told me not to pick him up and for them to figure out a way to work with him but the school is giving me trouble.

December 7, 2010 at 12:12 am
(45) D.M. says:

I just think that they are lazy and don’t care to hear it and that all these “underlying conditons” are just excuses for parents who don’t want to admit to making a lazy child. Blood sugar has very little to do with it if you consider the American teens diet. C’mon people, no excuses! I believe it is either laziness or stubborness…not some labled illness for a bunch of hyped up doctors to over prescribe meds that they get paid for…meds that compensate for the teens ‘problems’ when really it’s nothing medical…use some common sense, you were all teens once…duh…

January 9, 2011 at 4:51 am
(46) gooodmorning says:

I have that issue to i’m 16 years old and i can never wake up no matter how hard i try i fall right back to sleep, my parents think i’m “just lazy” but i’ve been like this for as long as i can remember i try getting a long sleep but for some reason that just makes me more tired? I can sleep a whole 15 hours and still not feel satisfied. I don’t know maybe “i am lazy” but i sure as hell don’t think thats the case.

March 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm
(47) NightOwl says:

I’m fifteen years old and I’ve always been a night owl. When I hit my teens, instead of being incapable of falling asleep before ten PM, I couldn’t fall asleep before midnight or 1 AM, sometimes later. This isn’t an issue of me staying on a computer all night; I’ve lain awake in bed staring at the ceiling for hours before nodding off. I’m in the public school system for the first time this year, and getting up by 6 AM isn’t just torture, it’s nigh impossible. I can sleep through any alarm clock, no matter how infrequently I’ve heard it. I have slept through a situation when my pillowcase ignited (long story). At any rate, this isn’t me being lazy -I like and look forward to school. I don’t party -the only reason I stay up late is to try and finish homework, or, on rare occasions to watch a lunar eclipse. This is how my genetics work. You say, “punish the teens”, but none of you are stopping to think that early school start times are already punishment enough. Falling asleep late and staying asleep through the morning is part of the biological cycle of being a teenager. Should people be punished for, say, having a pulse? No. It’s natural, and it’s out of their control.

September 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm
(48) Frustrated says:

So, those of you that say it’s normal for a teen and don’t punish them…what do you suggest? I can’t get the school schedule changed this year and my son does need to get up!

October 13, 2011 at 9:53 pm
(49) Lili says:

Just dump water on them or get a blow horn and put it to thier ears it’ll wake them up, you could also take away his/her personal things and say you wont get them back until you’ll wake up at the right time and ask me for it.
hope i helped!

December 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm
(50) Gray says:

I really think our kids just don’t get enough sleep and need to learn from those consequences. They eventually find out that life doesn’t work out well when they are tired and late all the time.

December 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm
(51) ~ says:

I’m not going to even try to enumerate on the points brought up by half the people before about it being a condition, and the natural biological clock, and so forth.
I *am* going to point out that you are punishing your children for something that you may be causing. You want your child to get good grades, right? If you have ever looked at the amount of homework involved in that feat you would understand why they’re staying up late. You’re punishing them for being a good student instead of helping them with their stress, a good study schedule, and to change their nighttime routine.

February 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(52) Mom and Teacher says:

I’ve always had a hard time waking up and slept through many alarms. I also snored a lot. I could sleep for ten hours and wake up exhausted. Finally, an allergist suggested I get a sleep study and sure enough, I have sleep apnea and have probably had it all my life. I used to literally stop breathing and semi-wake up or fully wake up several times a night. I didn’t believe it until I saw the test results. For two months I have been sleeping with a C-Pap machine that blows air into my nose. The results: no snoring and I get up on time. If your daughter snores, jerks awake, or breathes heavily when she is sleeping, she may have apnea. It’s hard to wake up when you are not sleeping .

April 9, 2012 at 12:05 am
(53) levans says:

Find proof first that your teen is alright. Prove that he is getting at least 8-12 hours of sleep instead of sneaking out, playing video games all night long. Prove that he is not doing drugs, smoking weed, or drinking alcohol.
Then give him a choice… Either go to an online school and get a part-time job or go to public school full-time.
If he wants to continue going to public school full-time then let him know that the first time he decides to sleep in your pulling him out of school. Be true to your words and do it.

June 18, 2012 at 9:33 am
(54) Steve says:

Im 18 now and i have a weir schedual as i do a part time graphic design diploma, monday wednesday and thursday i am ment to be there at around 8 so i want to be up at like 6 so i can enjoy the morning instead of rushing on the nights before those i go to bed at like 11 and put on 4 alarms starting at 5 thriugh to 6. They are on my iphone that plugs into a dock that i keep pretty loud (my parents hear it throughout the house with my door closed clear as day) playing a random mix of dubstep and really heavy metal, i have found i sleep through all 4 of the. At least oncE a week and by that i dont mean lay awake and wait for them to stop or turn then off and go back to sleep i mean like i legitimently hybernatr through the storm of noise in my room. On those days ill finaly wake up with a fright at like 7:50ish and bave to race around and that annoys me, mums tried helping with telling me to wake up even making me a coffee in the morning and once the ” the water treatment” i laughed that off cause i knew she ment well, had a coffe webt to my room laid down for a second and then out to it again! The thing is i want to be up on time and i want to be responsible enough to be awake when i need, i eat normally, have no health issuesor alleries (except strawberries) and even make sure i get off the computure or stop watching tv or whatecer half an hour before sleep so that my brain can unwind im a pretty happy guy, im not depressed and i do fine in my studies, all in all id say im a normal 18 year old with the 1 problem of sleeping through a nuclear bomb if it happened i feel bad cause i wake up others in the house more then i wake me up, and yes iv tried going to bed at like 9:30 but i just toss and turn in bed until about 11:30 until i finally sleep(normal sleep time anyway) i tried to explain my full situation to you guys so if you have any ideas please let me know thanks heaps,

Steve.

October 18, 2012 at 7:15 am
(55) lou orima says:

my 13 year old son is the same way.he would never get up in the mornings and he can sleep for a few days strait like he’s in a coma.i went on a business trip to another country and had planted cameras in his room, he had slept through the 5 days i was gone.i was scared but when i got home i shook him lightly and he woke up. for the love of petes sake. i dunno what the heck is whong with my kid,or yours but it sorta seems like we’re going though the same thing.

November 17, 2012 at 10:35 am
(56) Camryn says:

I’m Camryn, I’m 13 and i have/had the same problem. I couldn’t wake up and when my mom finally wakes me up, i cry and tell her i want to go back to bed. I’m so tired i can barley walk. i have fallen asleep on the toilet a couple times! My mom thought this was behavior issues and that i was choosing not to wake up. this made me so upset and i couldn’t explain to her how i was feeling. I’m now going to a specialist about my problem. So instead of you thinking your child is being defiant, please get them checked out by a doctor and make sure that their blood sure and pH and hormone levels are all balanced because it could very well be something physical. I know all this because of how many times i have been to the doctor and listen to all that they tell me it could be. I hope i helped, Good Luck, you’ll need it!

December 27, 2012 at 4:01 am
(57) Jane says:

I am a 17 year old with the same condition and the fact of the matter is I want to get up, I plan out how I want to wake up and what I can do to get the most done but for some reason I am incapable of waking up. I will even go back to bed sometimes and its like im not really awake. my dad trys to wake me up after my three alarm clocks dont do the trick and i still wont wake up i dont think punishment is the answer my parents have tried it and it dosnt work because i just cant wake up.

January 5, 2013 at 3:02 am
(58) Zoe says:

I just turned 12 last summer, and already, I can’t get up in the mornings. I remember the week before my 12th birthday, I got up at 5:00 AM, and every day after that till my birthday. Teenagers can’t get up in the mornings. I’ve asked my mother to dump water on my head several times, but she doesn’t want to ruin the bed. Phones alarms used to work a month ago, and its just getting harder to wake up. My father will yell at me for staying up too late. Granted, I do stay up quite late, I always have, even before I had trouble getting up. I have a theory that the teenagers mind, or even a pre-teen’s mind in my case, functions quite alot diffrently than a child’s or adults. I think that the brain might be overcome with hormones when it enters the teen years, and possibly killing of the ability for your body to keep a regular schedule. I don’t know if my theory is anywhere near correct, but its quite possible in my opinion.

February 21, 2013 at 10:11 am
(59) Dak Callender says:

All these posts and no solution. This has got to be a REAL medical condition not laziness. I’m 41 years old and I can sleep through a bomb going off in my room.

March 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(60) SleepingTeen says:

Yeah I agree, it has to be a medical problem because so far there is no solutions yet it is happening a lot. I am 17 and I was trying to google ways to help me get out of bed in the morning. I have 12 alarms set up and I sleep through them all… It isn’t laziness, take it from someone who puts up with this.

March 21, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(61) Haley says:

It’s really scary to think that some of you are parents. I am a 21 year old student, and I live on my own. I grew up in an ABUSIVE household where I was constantly yelled at by a mentally sick step-mother. This caused me to have anxiety issues, and now I am in therapy and taking mild medications. However, through my entire life, I’ve had sleep disorders stemming from anxiety – from bouts of insomnia to excessive daytime fatigue. From about 18 until now I have had HORRID trouble getting up on time and not by my own lack of initiative. I have taken it upon myself to study as much as possible about these problems and try to fix them. Multiple alarm clocks, vitamins, and so on. I live alone and have to work for a living. Do you think I want to sleep through an important day of school or be late for work and lose money? If you’re irresponsible and allow your children to stay up late, it’s your own fault. Don’t be mad and throw water on your teenager. If there’s no other reason they should be excessively tired then you NEED to get them to a doctor. Ask their teachers how they’re doing in school. Sit down and have a talk with your teen about why they aren’t getting up. It’s not always “that lazy teenager.” Sometimes there are conditions that cause this, and there are ways to fix it.

March 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm
(62) Linda says:

Pouring water on a teen as punishment is abuse. If a school finds out you do this, you will be turned in to Child Services.