1. Parenting

Help! Teen Sleeps all Day...

By July 24, 2009

A mom on our forum asks for advice: My 16 yr old is a great teenager. But his sleeping habits are driving us crazy. He stays up all night and sleeps all day. I have tried to set a time for bed and wake up but I just cannot get the schedule down. There is not much to do in our town for 16 yr olds, we take walks together and go to the beach and walk our dog. But that's it. Money is tight and there is really no place for him to have fun.

His friends at school are out of the county China and India and his few other quality friends that he talks to on line are out of the state. Seems no one in the neighborhood our resident area is very strange old people live here and renters of homes coming and going, a lot of military families.

Please help me figure out a way I can get help. I don't want to yell and scream at him anymore and I just cannot keep him sleeping all the day?

Denise's thoughts: I think you hinted at the answer in your post: he needs a 'thing'. Something to do and look forward to, a reason to get up and out of bed. He may fight the idea of doing something, because he has this habit of sleeping in. But after he does this 'thing' for a little while, he'll be in that habit and happier with it.

The most inexpensive thing I can think of at the moment is volunteering. Rec centers look for teens to help play with the kids who do activities there and hospitals are always looking for teen volunteers(they'll even pay for the TB test he'll need). Another reason hospitals are a good place for teen to volunteer because they can go at all hours.

Asking our community: How do you keep your teen from sleeping in all day? Please share your thoughts, advice and experiences in the comments area.

Connect With Denise: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Comments
July 24, 2009 at 9:23 am
(1) Debbie says:

I have the same problem and would love to hear any suggestions……Up all night, sleeps all day.

July 24, 2009 at 9:33 am
(2) Stacie says:

Sounds like he needs a part-time job or a purpose i.e., mowing lawns, McDonald’s, working at a golf course picking up balls (would get to drive a golf cart around!!) or volunteering at a vet’s office, the hospital or animal shelter. Maybe he might even find his direction in life.

July 24, 2009 at 9:44 am
(3) Carol says:

I have a daughter who is 19 who does this also. It’s about having control really over something and talking to friends on the computer all night. Maybe you can come to a comprimise that he gets up by 3pm perhaps so that he will not want to stay up all night. It is the summer and this pattern will have to be switched around before school starts back up. Use that fact as a bargaining tool to help him see the reason you are concerned. Our daughter is dealing with some depression right now and that maybe another reason he is doing this. Keep your eyes open for signs like sleeping too much, anger and irritability, not wanting to do anything, lack of contact with friends, eatting habits changing and the like. Teenagers have alot to deal with these days that we never had to deal with when we were growing up. Let him know you like to see his face with his eyes open and that you miss that. Loving words can go along way.

July 24, 2009 at 10:05 am
(4) Julie Newman says:

My 13 year-old’s friends are all over the place this summer and he also would sleep all day if we let him. He has summer chores that he is responsible for – mowing the lawn, cleaning, etc., and I would like him to get a summer job but work for kids his age is kind of scarce these days. He does takes care of neighbors pets and houses when they travel and help out others in the area as the need arises. A 16 year-old should be able to find some kind of work even if it doesn’t pay much. That will put him on a schedule and bring a little money into the house. You can also create a schedule of summer reading, getting summer assignments done, etc. and/or sign him up with some kind of inexpensive rec center class in an area that interests him. This would require him to get up and be somewhere during the day. If cost is an issue many of these places will reduce price if you agree to barter help with services – ie; clean the classroom, or run a fundraiser to help the school with a special program.

July 24, 2009 at 10:19 am
(5) Cheryl says:

You know Im going through the same thing with two teens. One wants to spend the night at his friends almost every night,, he doesnt have alot to do but he is socializing.
The other one goes on computer all night.
When I was young the YMCA didnt charge a dime to go and use their building,,now it cost a fortune to do anything for kids. The community needs to come out and do something for these kids, its costing way to much for parents to get there kids out and moving.

July 24, 2009 at 11:17 am
(6) MomHon says:

I have to say I did the same thing as a teen (now 52). I lived near the beach too, and after being up all night would go to the beach first thing in the AM and crash all day there, just setting my watch alarm & flipping over & over. It’s really a body chemistry thing. My daughter does the same now. I agree it’s annoying – because we’d like to be doing stuff with them! – but I’d say if he’s a good kid otherwise, cut him some slack. Maybe put it in the context of you miss spending outside time with him, and at 16 the opportunity for that is growing shorter and shorter. Make it about how much you love him, not that he’s “doing it wrong.”

July 24, 2009 at 12:15 pm
(7) Terene says:

I had the same problem with my son but I just turned my blinders on. I did this because for one money is tight on my end also and there is nothing for him to do because a lot of the rec centers have been shut down. He is not a problem child, he will do his chores and help out. Lately he has been selling waters and sodas and I would much rather him do something like that then to result to violence. I do remember myself as a teen and I did the same thing. I guess getting up early before I became a teen caught up with me.

July 24, 2009 at 12:17 pm
(8) Lorena says:

I have a 17 year old teenager and I have the same problem during his vacation. He would go to sleep like at 3 or 4am and wake up late. So this summer I asked him if he wanted to volunteer at a hospital or school and he came out with the idea of going to the gym to work out. So know he goes to sleep like at 11pm but he wakes up like at 9 to go to the gym and does his work out and then if he gets bored he goes in the night again. He got his friends to go with him. So to me that worked out!

July 24, 2009 at 1:56 pm
(9) RDMom says:

I agree with MomHon. It’s how their body chemistry is at this age. I did the same thing and I’m 42 now. Actually, I’m still a night owl. With my 14 year old daughter, the days that we have something specific planned really help her get out of bed. I don’t plan anything very early though. She’s typically up around 11:00 but if there are plans, she’ll get up earlier and help get packed up and ready to go. I think she helps on those days because I do let her sleep until she naturally wakes up on the days there isn’t something scheduled.

July 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm
(10) Tari says:

My 16 yr. old had been doing the same thing until he got a job. Now he’s working as a camp counselor and he’s up in the morning and sleeps at night. Teens need to be outdoors at least part of the day and some good physical exercise. If they can get paid for it, all the better.

July 24, 2009 at 5:48 pm
(11) Teresa says:

I understand your concern about your teen sleeping all day and being up all night. You love your teen and you want to see him happy and healthy (which includes his mental/emotional health), and, you, as the parent, have been the one responsible for him, protecting and providing for him. It’s hard for us to see our child lonely, bored, and unproductive, and we don’t want to see it spiral down into being depressed. We, also, don’t want to see him set unhealthy habits for himself that he could carry into adulthood. I have the same situation with my teen, including the lack of friends in the neighborhood. I, also, found myself yelling at him… but I know it was because I was worried about him. I have stopped doing that because I could see it wasn’t producing any positive results for him, and it was damaging our relationship which has always been good.

I think that teens need something “purposeful” to do. Last year I sent my teen to a week of camp. While he was there, he was offered a trainee position, and stayed for two more weeks, room and board provided. Later in the year, he applied for a paid position and got it. He’s younger than I would want him to be living away from home, but he’s up in the morning, sleeping at night, is outside and active, he’s earning money, feels good about what he’s doing and has a goal that he is working toward.

Having a goal, earning a paycheck, doing something purposeful and not being alone are the important ingredients.

Some suggestions – you could:
1. get a part time job (walking pets, yard work, a business) or volunteer position together or volunteer in the community helping someone who really needs household/yard/child help
2. do a yard sale together… invite his friends or your neighbors to add their stuff to yours and put up signs
3. do a project together… you could build something together (ie. a wooden doll house or step stool and then give it as a gift at Christmas, or paint a room together)
4. teach him how to bake bread and how to cook… let him make up a menu and go to the store and purchase it himself
5. open a bank account for him with $5.00.
6. help him to plan a party and invite a couple of friends over to go to the beach with you
7. have his friends over several times… you have a perfect location near the beach! turn it into a potluck and have them each bring one thing to share… you could provide hotdogs, lemonade, ketchup and mustard, someone else the buns, someone else chips, someone else watermelon or pasta salad… invite them to bring their bikes with them, another time to bring skateboards or meet them at a skate park (everyone pay their own way) and have a picnic (make it everyone bring their own one time and something to share another time), have a drawing/sketching contest… have them bring their own art materials or to share (paper, pencils/colored pencils/charcoal/water colors, paintbrushes) have them do a landscape of the beach and give a prize (could be a jumbo candy bar), have them over to watch a movie, another time have them bring sports equipment (baseball, football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer, etc.), have a scavenger hunt, build a bonfire and make s’mores (have one friend bring the marshmallows, another the graham crackers and two others the chocolate)
8. have relatives over to do the same
8. buy a used guitar and let him download “how to instructions” to learn from
9. find a church that has a service in the morning and go to it or a youth group
10.if he has siblings, have him teach them something or just spend time together… play kickball.
11.go orchard picking and go home and make a pie together… yummy!
12.some towns have free outdoor concerts… go and be with people… and maybe have some ice cream afterwards (we don’t have $$$ either, so I’ll let him get something and I won’t)
13.have him make some suggestions for something he would like to do that doesn’t cost anything
14.begin your day by working out together… there is something called “President’s Challenge” online that you can follow… it also provides a goal (key word for teens) and an award when you reach that goal.
15.give him a back massage at bedtime… that helps get them into bed and sometimes promotes conversation.
16.give him a camera (digital… make it a birthday present) he could even look for contests to enter his pictures
17.see if you can give him an allowance (no matter how small) if he’ll follow some structure in his day
(ie. up by 9 or 10am, workout (indoor), jogging/swimming (outdoor), lunch by 2p, work outside (weeding/mowing/cutting down/trimming/planting a pizza/vegetable garden, painting the trim of the house, washing the outside windows, outdoor play), indoor (chores/learn a tutorial online… how to fix a leaky faucet/hot water heater/fix a faulty light switch/build a deck, play music/instrument), dinner by 7p, playing cards/board game with family, shower, read, lights out between 10 – 11p.

We love our kids and at this age the best we can do is try to get them actively involved in the daytime. Having company helps. Invite your relatives, friends, neighbors, HIS FRIENDS… for BREAKFAST… lunch… dinner or just coffee/tea and a game of cards or conversation.
Try to relax and just enjoy having your teen at home… they grow up so fast. Give him lots of smiles/hugs/I love you’s.

July 24, 2009 at 7:01 pm
(12) Mimi says:

My son wen tthru the same thing and ths is what I found out:
1. Body chemistry has alot to do with it as they go thru puberty.That may be the simple answer.
2. Find out what exactly they are doing at night.If they are on the internet alot, find out what sites they are going to and to whom they are talking to. I found this out the hard way just this past spring. My college age son basically failed a sesmester because he was addicted to on-line comouter gaming–something called RPG where he played against other kids from all over the world. Many of these gaming tournaments are held at night.

July 24, 2009 at 9:46 pm
(13) parentingteens says:

Wonderfully useful comments everyone!

July 25, 2009 at 10:01 am
(14) take51 says:

Both my children and most of their friends have this problem. The unprecedented availability of around-the-clock electronic media at their fingertips, has really messed up this generation like none before. You can start off by setting curfew hours of your choosing, on your internet, by downloading Net Nanny.com or another similar program. Unofortunately that still leaves your teenager with television, I-pod, reading, and cellphone to entertain them all night. Wish there were some way to turn off all electricity in the house at bedtime – and exclude the refrigerator, A/C, and clocks.

July 25, 2009 at 6:29 pm
(15) Kelly, RN says:

WOW-my 17 year old daughter is exacly the same way…she sleeps all day and sometimes goes to bed as late as 5am…I try to ignore it also as she is a good kid, helps out in the house, with her brother and we have a close relationship. (I found reading the posts that most of us have that in common).

She was living out of state and just relocated back, doesn’t have friends in our neighborhood and she stays on her laptop watching you-tube videos or texting most of the night.

The only difference is that SHE finds the sleeping more annoying than I do. I took her to the Dr., they suggested Melatonin, a supplement, to help her fall asleep at a decent hour but honestly I know she is just bored. I think its totally normal for many teens.

She had a PT job during the school year but has not worked this summer. This was the perfect solution for her on weekends and I know it would have made all the difference this summer. I just keep encouraging her to look for jobs and exercise-we have a YMCA membership. I know once school starts it will get better, she will have a purpose to her day along with activities and will get back on track with her sleep pattern. Don’t worry you are not alone!

July 26, 2009 at 4:49 am
(16) Jo says:

Help Denise, I’m a teen suffering from stage-fright, and I just can’t find any way to put my nerves under control. And my piano exam’s coming within a fortnight. Any idea to control it?

July 26, 2009 at 10:04 am
(17) cindy says:

My twins are 12 but I have a rule that they need to be in their rooms at 10:00pm (they do not have computers,tv, or phones in room. They can read, journal, do art, listen to music, etc, but without anything else to do they usually are out by 11:00. I also try to do something with them like go to the community pool, picnic, walk/bike, bake, and volunteer somewhere. They also are involved in helping with our churchs vacation Bible school as helpers one week. I agree with alot of the other parents about finding a purpose. I struggle if I don’t have a purpose and I’m an adult with more choices. I think it helps to share why it’s important to have a regular bedtime (health, decreases chances of depression etc., maintains good routine for school and later life). Best wishes..hope this help.

July 26, 2009 at 9:37 pm
(18) Sally says:

My son, 13, wants to sleep all day and stay up all night too. He did have one tennis camp,so he went to bed early that week. He isn’t interested in doing other camps, volunteering, etc. I can’t make him do these things without cooperation, that is the problem. Maybe I should give him a choice and he has to pick one if he can’t come up with something (?) Help!

July 27, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(19) Makeda says:

Get your teens interested in a hoddy. Minature plane making, collecting, etc. When my children were teens there were absolutely no other teen for then as they were indoors all the time. so they made hobbies of collecting. One son collects unusual pens still. Introduce the to a DIY website they can make projects. That same son who is incidentally into Law today still goes to the hotels occassionally and volunteer to teach children craft while their parents enjoy a fine vacation. All activities are those he learned from craft sites, older Jamaicans with unusual skills who passed them on to hoim so long ago. Whithling is something young boys can do on their own and it can be enveloping. Girls find loads of fun making their own clothes when they learn. Just an Idea don’t know if it will help.

July 27, 2009 at 4:19 pm
(20) Iz Wuditiz says:

There is also something called the “lazy” hormone that kicks in around his age. This happens with all teenagers. Scientific fact! Some teens are able to overcome it better than others, but do your research on that before labeling your teen. This hormone throws sleep patterns into a crazy cycle. Google it:-)

August 8, 2009 at 3:18 am
(21) Blake says:

Im 17 and can do the same thing. I stay up late because im a teen. thats natural. however, i can pull myself out of bed and get going when i have something planned for the day. weather that be friends or work, having something to do it what gets me up. otherwise, i will sleep all day. have your son look for a job. i really enjoy working and it brings in some cash flow to pay for driving and going out with my friends :) I bus tables at a family owned restaurant and also work nights at sonic drive in. love both!

January 2, 2010 at 1:50 am
(22) tyty says:

I am a teen rite now and I am sick of haveing to go to go to bed at 9. my parents are mean and when i try to convince them to let me stay up they just say do not argue with our dicision I am your mom you will do what i said because i said so with no questions. so i just play on my computer all night like i am doing now at 2 in the morning

January 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(23) arnie says:

when i was a kid you either had to work or go to school. no laying in bed
i have the same problem with my daughter
i got her into college.
and am now trying to find her a job.
i think i might have to take her computer away at night. as she stays up all night talking on the computer to her friends.

February 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm
(24) Terri says:

I think it’s fine that he sleeps all day; so long as he’s not doing anything wrong or getting in trouble, I’d leave him alone. I’m a night owl as well (still at 29!). I made it through college, a Master’s degree and have a successful career; being a night person doesn’t mean he’s doing anything wrong! He’ll come around, in time :) I just think it’s best if he figures it out on his own.

February 5, 2010 at 6:26 pm
(25) Mal says:

Arnie- I think you are trying way to hard for your kid. Are you going to find her a husband and house as well? As a recently former teenager, I believe that it is important to start learning to be independent. As long as you do everything for your kid they won’t have an incentive to do it themselves. That said, I think hobbies, jobs, chores, and summer school are great ways to help prepare your teen for the future and get them out of bed.

March 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(26) Orangeyouhappy says:

We have a teenager, 15, and we are haveing the same problems as all of you and have tried many of the things that have been suggested. However, it is the middle of the school year and he is still sleeping. Sometimes all day long through school. He has goals of going to college, but his habit of missing school is making him lose high school credits. He is a good kid, has friends, has hobbies, but just can’t make him self get up and get to school on time. I have ignored it, yelled at him, pulled him out of bed. Nothing is helping. He knows the consequences, but still does not make an effort to show responsibility for school. I would like him to get a job, but he has so much school work that he needs to make up, he does not have time to have a job. Any other suggestions?

April 26, 2010 at 6:09 pm
(27) JacksonQ says:

My daughter is 13 and goes to sleep everday when she gets home from school. We took her to the doctor to be sure her sugar levels were ok and her white cell counts. A huge battery of tests were done, all normal. Doctor said cut out caffeine completely and don’t let her sleep till 2pm on weekends, their bodies cannot get on a normal rhythm. My 13 yr old son does not do this. Anyway, we have made all these changes with no results. Going to read up on that “lazy” thing. She is only getting about 7.5 hrs of sleep because her school starts at 7am….probably part of the problem.

June 19, 2010 at 6:11 am
(28) Kate says:

I am 15, and I experience the same thing. No matter how hard I try I can not seem to go to sleep at a normal time. I usually end up forcing myself to fall asleep at 7 am. It’s not my fault and it is probably not your teens fault either. So, I would suggest taking your child to a docter or psychologist. Teenagers don’t neccesarily like to talk to parents about their problems. They want the parents to figure out there is something wrong, and take them somewhere to get help. I hope this helped

July 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(29) Kelly says:

I have the same problem! I even flew my 15 year old home early from his Dad’s to try and get him on a better schedule. His only friends seem to be online one’s from other countries or states. He does have social issues, but is a great looking boy and in great shape. I brought him to work with e today (I work in a home office) and even tried to get him to swim or do something and instead, he’s asleep on their couch :( What to do? I am trying to get him a job, but he’s not 16, and there aren’t many out there…let’s face it.

November 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm
(30) Elizabeth McEwen says:

I am having an awful time with my 16 yr. old daughter sleeping all day. She has been through some awful trauma this year, so it is difficult to be too firm with her. However, when she really wants to do something she will get up. She goes to a performing/fine arts school two days a week. She loves this and has no problem getting up at 6:00 a.m, getting showered and ready, etc. But other days, she will just sleep the entire day and be virtually non-functioning until evening. She is way behind on her academic work, and although she says she is going to try hard to catch up, she just keeps on with this roller-coaster schedule. At the end of the last marking period, she was a major stress-ball trying to get work completed. She is going to be the same way at the end of the next marking period. Only a crisis seems to motivate her. Unfortunately, I get terribly stressed out over it too, because I can’t bear to see her keep ‘shooting herself in the foot.’

January 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(31) MaryK says:

I have an almost 15 years old boy, who sleeps all day and is awake all night. He is being diagnosed with depression and some social issues too. We just don’t know what to do with him every single morning to wake him up to go to school. He has missed so much school, that the school has taking us to court already, because he is under 16, we are responsible for him attending school. He is being tested for all kinds of drugs, sleep apnia, and physically he is fine. He is a very bright boy, always in high honor roll, but 9th grade started and he changed for the worse. He is fresh and doesn’t want to do anything at home. We have tried everything to discipline him, thinking at first that it was bad behavior, but nothing seems to work. He has lost respect for us and for himself. Or maybe we just don’t know how to deal with his behavior and depression at the same time. I should mention that I have 2 younger boys observing this behavior daily. Some people tell us to be more sweet to him and spend more time, and others tell us to call the police to get him to school. We don’t want to loose him even more. There is times when he talks about college and his dream of becoming a doctor when he is asked. He went from A’s to F’s, the teachers don’t have grades to give him, he is barely there. It is very difficult to see your first borned not care about anything in life. He refuses to join any thing, and because his grades he can’t do anyhthing in school. He loves to play x-box at night and computer too. We usually take these things away when he doesn’t go to school, he fights with us about it. Then he sleeps even more, becaus according to him there is nothing to be awake for. A week ago we started him on some natural medication, to help him with his mood, depression, etc. We are praying to God that will help him to come out of all this. We would love to receive some ideas on how to cope and help our teen.

August 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(32) JenP says:

I can relate. I have a 15 yr old who since high school lost all motivation with school and did get into a bit of minor trouble. He does smoke marijuana but i wonder if he is trying to quit. He is home all the time pretty much and stays up all night and sleeps all day. Even scarier, he seems to have no appetite. School starts in less than 2 weeks and I honestly don’t know how he will be able to function if he can’t get to bed at a decent time, and can’t eat. Just so you know, I had attended a number of parent group meetings and they are very adamant that we cannot force our teens to do anything as there was a point that I thought we had quit school in April but because I left him be, he did manage to get back and finish and get 6 credits for the year, which wasn’t too bad. This one woman from the group said that she had to leave her son alone because all of her upset with him was ruining their relationship and that he needed to figure it out on his own, so she said she left him be and he slept for a year on an off when he felt like it and then he seemed to come out of it and joined the real world. I can’t help but think that your son and mine may need to do something like this, (as hard as it is to see them like this). Your may be into marijuana as our doctor said that this really zaps their motivation. I have seen things that my son has written to friends on his computer when he didn’t realize he had left it on, that he has to tone it down because he has no motivation at all. We did manage to get him to come camping with us for 10 days and that was great as he and his dad fished and even golfed a couple of times. My worry for him is the sleep problems and the eating problems might be also from depression – I am going to suggest to him that he see a doctor again. Good luck to you. We love them so much and it is so hard to see them going through these things. Take care and good luck with your son. I will pray for him.

April 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm
(33) Constance says:

I am a twelve year old. I can get pretty bored during the summer so I try to do things that I would usually do after school. Every once in a while I will just devote a day or two to just relaxing because it will start to be painful. But find things he likes to do and help him with it. Sometimes my mom will just come outside with me and play basketball or soccer. So let him know that you are not just going to sit around all day because he will think it is unfair on him.

September 17, 2011 at 12:25 am
(34) MARY says:

I have a 13yr old and ever since she has been an infant she has been a good sleeper..in fact she would sleep all day and night if i let her..she has chores which normally goes like this…wash a dish..sit down…take a nap…if i dont catch her she will be in her room sleep. all she likes to do is sleep. she can go to bed a 8pm and get up the next day at 12pm and still turn around and sneak and take i nap with her younger siblings that are 5,4,3. I do not know if she is suffering from depression or what. i tried to get into activities on the weekends she claims she cant.. that is her “SLEEPING TIME”.. she wants to take a nap when she comes home from school….Is this normal? did i train her to sleep like this.. when she was an infant i could bathe, diaper, dress and do her hair and she would still be sleep. she didnt wake up until we got to the daycare…Then she slept all day there…The women used to remarked they missed her on the days she wasn’t there. she would be the only one sleep….As she got older she would stay up long enough to engage in what she calls HAVE TO ACTIVIITES.. going to school, church.. but the minute she gets home…she plops on my couch and goes to sleep…

September 17, 2011 at 7:03 am
(35) Denise says:

I would see her doctor about this as that does not seem like a normal sleep pattern. The sooner the better – maybe email them what you’ve written here?

December 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(36) Annlee says:

I’m now in my 20s, but when I was a teen, I spent most of my nights on the computer during the summer, usually going to bed around 8 in the morning. I still would much rather be awake during the night than during the day. Being a “night owl” runs in my family, though.

In high school, I had my fair share of friends. I would hang out with them, and I had a part-time job during my later high school years. I still would spend a large portion of my time awake at night & sleeping in during the day. I don’t think it’s a problem.

It is possible that your teen is depressed or too bored during the day. I actually made a lot of good friends online that later became some of my best friends face-to-face, even meeting my future husband online. (We didn’t meet face-to-face until I was 18, but I’d known him since I was 14.) If (s)he’s socializing online, I don’t think it’s too big of a problem. I would recommend making sure that your communication with your teen is good; it would be horrible if (s)he started planning to meet people without you knowing about it. I told my mom about everyone I really started to get friendly with, the people who became my best friends & my husband, and she never acted overly suspicious or overbearing. Because she’s a night owl, I think she understood why I was up.

So, I would just say, if your child doesn’t seem depressed or have any other seemingly negative things going on besides staying up all night, just talk to them and see what kind of things they’re doing. Casually. Kids never take well to, “Okay, tell me what you’ve been doing online RIGHT NOW.” See if (s)he’s unhappy, seriously addicted to a video game (World of Warcraft is a commonly known issue, but not always a problem), or having any other problems. But make sure you are able to communicate well with him/her.

December 21, 2011 at 2:40 am
(37) Hannah says:

I do this too. I get irritated with my famileys noise. ( They love to yell…) So I switched my nights and days. I sleep all day and stay up at night. I don’t really do much but if it gets me peace and alone time then I’m good to go haha.
My dad use to do the same thing when he was young, and he grew out of it…( Partly..haha.) I’m pretty sure your kids will be fine. When school comes around they might switch it up so they won’t sleep in class.

June 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm
(38) Nellie says:

Let him sleep. He’s a teenager. He’ll grow out of it but until then, leave him alone. If I were him I would want to sleep too if my mom was just gonna nag me all day.

July 16, 2012 at 7:34 am
(39) joan says:

teenagers are lazy ! they are spoiled and have no reason to get out of bed! Everything is done for them. so why would they. If these teens had a job like farm work, a horse to look after or responsibility they would have to get up. get them to look after a friends children or help a charity. . Stop feeding them and rewarding them for being lazy. if they cant be arsed to get up, want to laze about all day and stay up all night you should stop buying them food and doing their laundry. its easy. toughen up !!! only western kids do this. you should visit the Crane acadamy in kenya. The teenagers there walk 5 miles to school every day, care for siblings , help parents who work hard for them to have an education and they then train as doctors and lawyers so they can pay to educate their sisters and brothers. sorry but no excuse for our ruined teeenagers and as parents we should be totally ashamed of raising lazy bone idel layabouts. they should contibute to the household chores in the morning and go out with their mates after lunch. If they sleep all day its because we allow them to. i have teens who have to be up by 8am in the week in hols. to do something useful like walk the dogs , do their own landry , read classical lit or help a charity. they have one day at weekend to lay in and days out with friends if they have contributed to the house. stop being a hotel keeper you are not doing them any favours in the long run. If they have to help they will respect how much efforet it takes to run a house. tought ?? or tough love ??

July 27, 2012 at 1:23 pm
(40) Elaine says:

My son is 18. No matter what i try, its to no avail. Ive made suggestions and not silly ones either, ive asked him why he stays in bed and he doesnt know what to say, he doesnt even shrug his shoulders, he just looks like, well, theres nothing about him, at all. Its as if theres no life out there that he could possibly be remotely interested in. He gets up when i take him to his dads or his grannys or his friends, and he does any one of these merely once a week, but he doesnt see his friend like he used to. He simply does not do anything. He says he just does not want to. He sleeps on his laptop, realy, its next to his pillow. But, he is not a bad lad. He never misbehaves, nor gets into trouble outside the home, i know hes not that kind. Hes very very quiet. Hes just not grabbing life. The more i try, the more i get upset at him, meaning, i just leave him, but its not what i want to do. But what can i do?

September 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(41) taylor says:

my friend is so lazy. she will sleep all day tuesday and thursday because she does not have class. but then on mondays and wednesdays and fridays (half the day) all she does is lay in bed and sleep. she says “im tired..”. it is really annoying and i dont know what to do about it. she says “im depressed” but i know everything about her and she has nothing to be depressed about. she has a perfect family life she is smart and gets good grades and she has a bunch of really good friends that support her in everything that she does. i really need to figure out what is wrong with her because something is seriously wrong with her. what can i do to make her get out of bed? please help.

sincerly,
a very worried concerned friend.

February 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(42) Niecy says:

My brother is sleeping all the time. It seems like he is always tired. He doesnt have a job but he is in College. Should I be worried about this… because I am.