© Getty Images
- The most common drug of choice among high school students in the U.S. is alcohol, followed by cigarettes and marijuana, followed by controlled prescription drugs.
- 72.5% of high school students have drunk alcohol.
- 46.3% of high school students have smoked cigarettes.
- 36.8% of high school students have used marijuana.
- 65.1% have of high school students have used more than one substance.
- Nearly 21 percent of parents declared marijuana harmless.
The study is being called the most comprehensive look at teen substance use to date. I'd call it a real eye opener. Substance abuse leads to more deaths and serious health issues in teens than anything else. Yet, it is the most preventable when parents and the community of adults around teens take an active approach.
So, let's get that started here. I'm asking our parenting community: What do you do to keep your teen from smoking, off of drugs and not drinking alcohol? What has worked? What hasn't? Do you have a supportive community? Please share your advice in the comments area.