1. Parenting

Teen Boys Masturbate More Than Teen Girls

By August 5, 2011

Color me perplexed, but I thought this was a given? National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior has done a study on masturbation among U.S. adolescents. It found that boys start earlier and do it much more often than girls. No surprises there.

Some of the findings from this article by US News and World Report:

"While nearly three-quarters of boys surveyed reported having ever masturbated, that figure was slightly less than half among girls. For both sexes, the likelihood of engaging in masturbation appeared to increase with age. Among boys between the ages of 14 and 17 the percentage of those who had masturbated at least once rose from about 63 to 80 percent. Among girls, those figures were lower but still followed an upward slope, rising from about 43 percent to 58 percent across the same time-frame..."

and

"Boys also engaged in masturbation more frequently than girls: about half of the boys said they engaged in the activity at least twice a week, but that figure fell to about 23 percent among girls. An estimated 46 percent of girls reported masturbating only a few times per year."

The facilitators of the study also remind parents and teens that masturbation is a normal behavior. They would like this information to be a part of a teen's sexual education classes. For parents I think we need to remember to give our teen boys and girls privacy, knock on the bedroom door when it is closed, etc. Also, teach our teens how to clean their own sheets.

My thoughts on why boys masturbate more than girls? ...besides testosterone? We bring up our girls to have more sexual inhibitions which include body image issues(air brushing pictures of size 2 models) and lower self-esteem. Thus, less masturbation? Maybe. What are your thoughts on the study?

Related Resources:
Comments
August 5, 2011 at 7:48 am
(1) habimana.samuel says:

in my opinion this action of masturbation is common in teen because hight wonting to do sexual relation.By referring to SIGMUND FRED we are led by desire of sex .my question >is it possible a normal person to arrive in adult period without do so
?????????

August 5, 2011 at 7:51 am
(2) Nkwenti Fru says:

This is an interesting piece of research. I’ve always wondered if there are any health implications on masturbation and the frequency of it.maybe men do it more than girls because girls have more activities that has to do with touching their bodies which in my opinion is a minor form of masturbation.

August 5, 2011 at 9:08 am
(3) Win Kelly says:

We as parents must educate our children about sex and not leave it to sex education classes. Our children should understand that our society has become oversexed, and that this public display of sexuality is inappropriate. We should guide our children toward a marriage for life, with no premarital sex, and that masturbation should not be encouraged as a child or teenager. Do we give in to every whim and desire? Our children must learn to control their desires to avoid sex, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, bullying, violence, etc. Learning to deny sexual desires and the other temptations is basic to a productive and healthy life. Get with it parents – parent your children to become responsible parents themselves!

August 6, 2011 at 2:59 am
(4) Felix Ogadeji says:

I share Win Kelly’s opinion.In addition however,we as parents should know that the moral decadence that has reck our society today stern from the lack of parental concern over certain moral issues including sex matter.We must help our teens by being their first true positive sex educationist

August 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm
(5) k Dills says:

At first when I was a teen, I tried it once because a friend got me curious about the action. It did not feel pleasing, so I stopped and never performed it again.
After many years, I have studied into the field of Psychological Counseling for Children and Fostered quite a few. I researched and surveyed both sexes at the early stages of puberty and witnessed that girls masturbated more frequently than boys do. My research and surveys were performed at home and at the Social Service building that included children of all ages whom were left there by neglect or removed from their home because of abuse.
I ask questions like, “Do you ever play with yourself?”, “Do you know about masturbating?”, “Do you know how to masturbate?”, “Do you like it? Is it fun?” My answers were 95% Yes by girls and 75% Yes by boys.
I have done this for over 5 years, the results have been identical. I will continue my studies into Child Psychology and give to “OUR FUTURE” a better understanding to the Survival of Life.
Even adults, women masturbate more than men do. I asked around the communities of big cities to small towns. The main reason that I was given was because men were tired from work and women wanted something “fun” to do while their man slept.
High School kids who reach the beginning stage of puberty will learn through answering the question by actually doing it. Girls will do it to selves and to others more frequently than boys will. I have surveyed only 5 schools to learn of this, and I will continue and survey more. Thank you.

August 6, 2011 at 3:07 am
(6) Felix Ogadeji says:

Good job Dills.keep up with the research and am sure your concern about the psychological well being of the teen and adult inclusive will yield positive results.

August 7, 2011 at 10:26 am
(7) Maria Eduarda B Moura says:

Maybe it will be clarifying for all if some article could be included diferentiating teen maturbation from adult masturbation. For someone that is learning seriously about how to educate sexually a boy or girl the word masturbation means orgasm. That is not the case at all with teens. Maybe it is more accurate to say that is healthy for teens to touch their own body so that they know it well, and learn how to like their own body. Teens do not always like their body. Any way the word masturbation seems a bit strong to apply in the case of teens.

August 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm
(8) Susana says:

Very sad, and alarming! Your lesson or advice or education, is just distort. Masturbation is a horror habit, is could be a normal sensation, but not good. Is like stealing or lying or any bad habit acquired, the feeling is there, is not good, and need to learn not to do it. The children need to be thought to have self-control, the mind will get perverted and fantasy. You and the one who believe this theory, preparing your children to be rapist, sex offender, unhappy in staying with one person. and to have an out of control sex life. They are not going to have a healthy marriage, and they could be come sex machine or would want one.

August 10, 2011 at 11:15 am
(9) vixen45 says:

I have a teenage son and a preteen son.My husband and I have never discouraged them from masturbating,we feel this is also a form of stress relief. I would much rather them do this than experiment with unsafe sex practices.

August 15, 2011 at 12:12 am
(10) RONKE says:

I THINK VERY STRONGLY THAT PARENTS SHOULD ENGAGE THEIR YOUNG ONES POSITIVELY.AND ALSO DEFINE WHEN IT IS SPIRITUALLY AND,SOCIALLY AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY O.K FOR THEM TO GET INVOLVE IN SEX.WHICH IS AFTER MARRIAGE.WHEN YOU PREPARE THEIR MINDS AHEAD,ITS EASIER FOR THEM TO CHECK THEMSELVES. AND KEEP THEM FROM UNWANTED PREGNANCIES AND DISEASES.