- Become involved with sports by coaching or being an active spectator to your teen's games.
- Your teen may have different likes and dislikes. Allow them to explore the world of sports and physical activities.
- Plan biking, hiking, or camping trips for the family.
- Set rules for TV and media time if your teen is too sedentary. Make a compromise about times giving your teen more if they are involved in fitness activities daily.
- Set a good example, model active behavior.
- Get a gym membership for the family and spend time together there.
- Allow your teen to go at their own pace.
- Let them know how well they are doing. Use your praise to communicate to your teen that you are happy they are being active.
- Encourage outdoor activities after school. High schools have gym and weight rooms that they have open to students.
- Add weeding the garden, mowing the lawn or washing the car to their chores list.
- Try not to turn then off by bugging or nagging.
- Does your family exercise together?
- Yes, at least once a week.
- Yes, at least once a month.
- Yes, occasionally.
- No, never.
- No, but I think it's a good idea to start.
Related Parenting Quiz: Are you raising a healthy teen?
Parenting Quizzes for Parents of Teens