Hotlines set up to address adolescent issues provide an excellent resource to troubled teens and their parents by providing access to free information, crisis counseling and listings of mental health professionals and treatment programs in your area.
Nationwide hotlines - also sometimes referred to as help lines - offer general help and information related to teens, while others are set up to address specific issues such as eating disorders or suicide prevention. These resources can be accessed online in various formats, via e-mail, or over the phone and provide direct communication with trained staff.
Parents can utilize hotlines to get reliable information about teen concerns, find 24/7 help in dealing with a teen crisis or to locate referrals for more long term or in-depth teen treatment. They are a resource that can be passed on directly or indirectly to your troubled teen, here's a listing of the best known hotlines:
Nationwide Hotlines Providing General Information and Help
- Hotline offers immediate help 24/7
- Staffed by Boys Town counselors
- Communication can also be via e-mail or online chat
NEO Teen Hotline (Northeast Ohio Teen Hotline)
- Phone times are M-F 2-9PM(EST)
- Communication can also be via email
- 'Teens can talk about subjects like: family life, grief and loss, suicide, abuse, drugs and alcohol, sex and other problems. We're here to listen and help.'
- 'Teens helping teens - connect, talk, chat, get help.'
- Communication through direct calling, text, or message board.
- Christian based chat and phone counseling
Hotlines for Specific Teen Problems
- 'Run by Kristin Brooks Hope Center to help those in crisis find help and hope immediately."
- Phone hotline available 24 hours /calls are connected to the nearest crisis center
- E-mail support 24/7
- Online chat support
- 'Crisis intervention to work through problems and find a plan of action.'
- Available by phone 24/7
- E-mail support available
- Live chat
- 'Submit questions via e-mail or participate in a forum monitored by counselors.'
- Phone calls answered 9-5 EST
- Available via email
- Website on Eating Disorders
- Offers interactive bulletin board, and other online support options on this and other sites.
- Online hotline 'provides live, secure, anonymous crisis support for victims of sexual violence, their friends and families.'
- 24/7 communication directly with trained crisis support volunteers.
- For teens in abusive relationship and those concerned about them.