In order for your teen to be happy while they live independently, they will need to be successful at keeping their bodies healthy and clean. These life skills are taught throughout your teen's childhood and adolescence by encouraging good hygiene routines and healthy habits. Re-enforcing or establishing these good habits will help your teen keep them as they continue to grow up and become young adults.
Good Hygiene Habits Your Teen Should Have
- Brush their teeth twice daily.
- Shower or bath once daily.
- Wash hair regularly.
- Wash hands often.
- Shave regularly.(Teach Your Teen Son to Shave or Teach Your Teen Daughter to Shave)
- Brush hair at least daily and get a hair cut regularly.
- Clip and groom nails once a week, fingers and toes.
- Take care of any injuries as they happen and until they are healed.
- Use personal hygiene products correctly, including: deodorant, feminine hygiene products, facial acne cleansers, etc.
- Wear clean clothes and change underclothing daily.
Healthy Habits Your Teen Should Have
- Getting adequate sleep.
- Eating healthy foods and limiting junk food and sodas.
- Exercise regularly, at least 3 times a week.
- Develop healthy strategies to handle stress.
- Use good hygiene habits.(see above)
- Enjoy social interactions as well as alone time.
- Exercising the brain by doing puzzles or reading.