The first step in helping your teen shape a healthy body image is to see how your teenager feels about their body right now. To find out, talk to your teen and take our 15 question quiz: Does your daughter have a healthy body image?
Then use the following resources:
- What is Body Image?
Body image is forever changing. It is sensitive to your mood swings, physical environment, and your experiences. It is formed out of every experience you have ever had and all of the people around you - parents, role models, the media, and peers who give you an idea of what it is like to value your body.
- 7 Parenting Tips on Shaping a Positive Body Image
As a parent of a teen, you can help them relate to food in a healthy way and create a positive body image by using these seven tips.
- FAQ: How does the media effect body image in teens?
Advertising in teen magazines and on television typically glamorizes skinny models who do not resemble the average woman. Learn how to help your daughter minimize the media's impact on her body image.
- FAQ: How do I teach my teen media literacy?
Teaching teens media literacy isn't really difficult. You can use all of the advertising you're being bombarded with daily for an effective tool.
- FAQ: Do boys have body image issues too?
The media and health agencies are reporting that body image issues have been becoming more and more of a problem for teen boys over the past decade.
- Eating Disorders: Signs and Symptoms
- Quiz: Are you raising a healthy teen?
- Quiz: Does Your Teen Have an Eating Disorder?
Screening quiz to help parents recognize the warning signs of anorexia nervosa in their teen and find ways to seek help.
- Teen Eating Disorders and Unhealthy Eating Habits Continue Into Adulthood
All the teens in the group who dieted were significantly more likely to be dieting in as adults than those who didn't diet when they were younger and "Diet pill use more than tripled in most of the age and sex groups," report the researchers.
- I think my teen has an eating disorder. What do I do?
Article FAQ for parents of teens who think their teen may have an eating disorder.
- 4 Bad Food Habits Teens Have and What Parents Can Do About Them
As teens become more independent in their food choices, they tend to make the wrong choices - even teens who were brought up eating healthy. Here are the four worst food habits teens have and what you can do about them.
- 3 Reasons to Encourage Your Teen to Do Breast Self Exams
- Is your teenager capable of keeping a healthy hygiene routine without your help?
If you feel your teenager is struggling with body image issues, I strongly encourage you to talk to your family doctor and to take our parenting class on teenage self-esteem.
Take this article one step further:
Your teen's health is very important as it can affect every part of their life.
Parenting Poll: Do you think today's media is affecting your teen's body image in a negative way?