How To Parent Today's Teens
By Amy Morin
- Establishing Discipline and Rules
- Communicating with Your Teen
- Teens and Technology
- Skills to Teach Your Teen
- Teen Mental Health
- Cars and Driving
- Chores and Responsibilities
- Dating and Relationships
- Drug Use: Issues and Prevention
- Money Matters
- Teen Sexuality and Pregnancy
- Working Teens
Establishing Discipline and Rules
Discipline can be one of the hardest jobs parents have to do. Using active discipline techniques can lead to positive character traits in our teenagers which will guide them to becoming happy young adults. With these articles you will learn about setting limits, establishing rules, developing a discipline style and teaching responsibility.
- How to Give Your Teen Positive Reinforcement
- How to Use Discipline to Teach Life Lessons
- How to Know When Your Teen is Ready for More Freedom
- Establishing Rules for Your Teen
- Choose Your Battles with Your Teen Wisely
- 8 Ways to Discipline Teens
- Allowing Teens to Face Natural Consequences
- Grounding Your Teen: How to Make it Effective
- Discipline Your Teen by Assigning Extra Responsibilities
- Logical Consequences for Teen Misbehavior
- Creating Behavior Contracts
- How to Respond When Your Teen Talks Back
Communicating with Your Teen
Talking to teens is an important means for maintaining a healthy relationship. However, many parents report a lot of communication problems. Teens often don't want to talk to their parents. Check out some of these strategies to help keep the lines of communication open.
- 8 Strategies to Get Your Teen to Talk
- How to Develop a Positive Pattern of Communication with Your Teen
- How to Teach Your Teen Problem-Solving Skills
- How to Use Reflective Listening with Your Teen
- How to Validate Your Teen’s Feelings
- Why It's Important to Avoid Using Sarcasm with Your Teen
- How to Build Credibility with Your Teen
- 10 Communication Mistakes that Discourage Teens from Talking
- How to Use Popular Media to Stay Connected with Your Teen
Teens and Technology
Today's teens live in a digital world. It's important for parents to set limits and establish rules that will keep teens safe when they're using technology.
- Teens and Selfies: What Parents Need to Know
- 10 Social Media Strategies Parents of Teens Should Exercise
- Establishing Cell Phone Rules for Teens
- Could Your Teen Actually Become Addicted to the Internet?
- 10 Strategies to Limit Your Teen's Screen Time
- What Parents Need to Know About Tumblr
- 10 Social Media Networking Sites Teens are Using
Skills to Teach Your Teen
Teens need to learn emotional and behavioral skills that will set them up for success in their relationships and in their future. Take time to carefully teach your child these helpful skills.
- How to Teach Your Teen Problem-Solving Skills
- How to Teach Your Teen Assertiveness Skills
- 8 Ways to Teach Teens Anger Management Skills
- Why It’s Important to Teach Teens About Feelings
- 10 Tips for Raising a Well-Rounded Teen
Teen Mental Health
Teens are susceptible to a variety of mental health issues, ranging from depression to anxiety disorders. It's important to take a proactive approach to ensuring that your teen is healthy emotionally. If you see warning signs that indicate your teen may have a mental health problem, it's important to seek help from a qualified professional.
- 4 Types of Depression that Affect Teens
- Teen Mental Health: What Parents Need to Know
- Common Mental Health Issues in Teens
- What to Do if Your Teen Refuses to Go to Counseling
- 10 Signs Your Teen is Stressed Out
- 9 Types Anxiety Disorders Commonly Found in Teens
Cars and Driving
Driving is one of the biggest responsibilities your teen will have. Help your teenager become a better driver with these tips, information on state laws and how-to resources.
- 4 Smartphone Apps that Prevent Teens From Texting While Driving
- The 12 Biggest Dangers to Teen Drivers
- Teen Driver Safety Pledge: A Contract Any Teen Driver Should Sign
- Driver Education Isn't Enough: Additional Programs Teach Teen Driver Safety
- Research Shows Parents Can Do More to Help Teens Learn to Drive Safely
Chores and Responsibilities
Learning about responsibilities and doing chores gives teens a sense of accomplishment, confidence and belonging. Here you will find resources about responsibilities, chores and teens.
- Printable Chore Charts for Teens
- Chores List for Older Kids and Teens - Over 50 Ideas
- Quick Tips for Getting Teens to Use a Chore Chart
- Parenting Teens Contracts: Teen Chores
- Change Your Teen's Attitude About Chores
Dating and Relationships
Teen dating tips for teens and their parents. Does your teen want to date? Here are some dating guidelines, a dating quiz, dating tip list and more teen dating resources to help.
- Tips for Establishing Dating Rules for Your Teen
- When is Your Teen Ready for a Relationship?
- Talk to a Teen with Looking for a Date Jitters
- Parenting Teens Contract on Teen Dating
- Warning Signs of Teen Dating Violence
- Dating Violence: What Can a Parent Do?
Drug Use: Issues and Prevention
Drug use and abuse resources for parents who may be dealing with teen drug use and abuse. All teens see some type of drug use or abuse in school or in the media, find resources here to help you talk with your teenager and parent them on the topic of teen drug use.
- Teens and Alcohol: What Parents Need to Know
- 7 Ways Parents can Prevent Teens from Experimenting with Alcohol
- The Scary Truth About Teens and Prescription Drug Abuse
- Ways Parents Can Prevent Teens From Abusing Prescription Drugs
- Residential Treatment for Adolescent Substance Abuse Problems
- Set the Rules Teens and Drug Use
- Things You Can Do to Prevent Your Teen from Taking Drugs
- Warning Signs of Teenage Drug Abuse
Teens love to learn about money, especially when they can have some to help with the lesson. Here are resources that will help you teach your teen financial responsibility.
- Teaching Teens Financial Skills
- 6 Ways to Teach Teens Budgeting Skills
- Help Your Teen Graduate from College Debt Free (Even If You Can't Pay)
- 7 Reasons Why It's Important to Give Teens Chores
Teen Sexuality and Pregnancy
Learn how to talk to your teen about sex and teen sexuality. Information on teen sexuality including teen pregnancy, menstruation and puberty.
- 10 Essentials Your Teen Needs to Know About Sex
- How Is Puberty the Same for Both Sexes
- Teen Sexual Development Stages
- Teen Pregnancy: Tips on Prevention
- The Dos and Donts of Sex Education
Having a job is a huge responsibility that teens enjoy. Teenagers like the pay and working with other teens. Parents like the sense of responsibility a job gives a teen. Check here for resources on getting your teen a job, whether your teen is ready for a job and what to do when your teen has a job. If your teen just wants a summer job, we have resources to help you with that too.
- How to Help Your Teen Find a Job
- 10 Skills that Prepare Teens for Employment
- How to Prepare Your Teen for a Job Interview