How To Parent Today's Teens
By Amy Morin
- Establishing Discipline and Rules
- Communicating with Your Teen
- Teens & Technology
- Skills to Teach Your Teen
- Depression and Suicide
- Body Image
- Cars and Driving
- Chores and Responsibilities
- Dating and Relationships
- Drug Use: Issues and Prevention
- Money Matters
- Teen Sexuality and Pregnancy
- Working Teens
Establishing Discipline and Rules
Discipline can be one of the hardest jobs parents have to do. Using active discipline techniques can lead to positive character traits in our teenagers which will guide them to becoming happy young adults. With these articles you will learn about setting limits, establishing rules, developing a discipline style and teaching responsibility.
- How to Give Your Teen Positive Reinforcement
- How to Use Discipline to Teach Life Lessons
- How to Know When Your Teen is Ready for More Freedom
- Establishing Rules for Your Teen
- Choose Your Battles with Your Teen Wisely
- 8 Ways to Discipline Teens
- Allowing Teens to Face Natural Consequences
- Grounding Your Teen: How to Make it Effective
- Discipline Your Teen by Assigning Extra Responsibilities
- Logical Consequences for Teen Misbehavior
- Creating Behavior Contracts
- How to Respond When Your Teen Talks Back
Communicating with Your Teen
Talking to teens is an important means for maintaining a healthy relationship. However, many parents report a lot of communication problems. Teens often don't want to talk to their parents. Check out some of these strategies to help keep the lines of communication open.
- 8 Strategies to Get Your Teen to Talk
- How to Develop a Positive Pattern of Communication with Your Teen
- How to Teach Your Teen Problem-Solving Skills
- How to Use Reflective Listening with Your Teen
- How to Validate Your Teen’s Feelings
- Why It's Important to Avoid Using Sarcasm with Your Teen
- How to Build Credibility with Your Teen
- 10 Communication Mistakes that Discourage Teens from Talking
- How to Use Popular Media to Stay Connected with Your Teen
Teens & Technology
Today's teens live in a digital world. It's important for parents to set limits and establish rules that will keep teens safe when they're using technology.
- Establishing Cell Phone Rules for Teens
- Could Your Teen Actually Become Addicted to the Internet?
- 10 Strategies to Limit Your Teen's Screen Time
- What Parents Need to Know About Tumblr
- 10 Social Media Strategies Parents of Teens Should Exercise
- 10 Social Media Networking Sites Teens are Using
Skills to Teach Your Teen
Teens need to learn emotional and behavioral skills that will set them up for success in their relationships and in their future. Take time to carefully teach your child these helpful skills.
- How to Teach Your Teen Problem-Solving Skills
- How to Teach Your Teen Assertiveness Skills
- 8 Ways to Teach Teens Anger Management Skills
- Why It’s Important to Teach Teens About Feelings
Depression and Suicide
Teen depression and suicide articles, resources and links. If you know a teenager who you think is suffering from teen depression, take our teen depression quiz and following along with these resources that can help.
- 4 Types of Depression that Affect Teens
- 5 Things You Should Do if You Think Your Teen is Depressed
- How do I know if my teen is depressed? What are the signs?
- Teen Suicide Risk Factors
Body image is forever changing. It is sensitive to your mood swings, physical environment, and your experiences. Learn about it here.
- 7 Parenting Tips on Shaping a Positive Body Image
- FAQ: Do boys have body image issues too?
- FAQ: How does the media effect body image in teens?
- FAQ: How do I teach my teen media literacy?
Cars and Driving
Driving is one of the biggest responsibilities your teen will have. Help your teenager become a better driver with these tips, information on state laws and how-to resources.
- How To Set the Limits on Driving
- Teaching Teenagers to Drive; A Dos and Don'ts List
- Tips for New Teen Drivers
- What are the statistics of fatal crashes involving teen drivers?
Chores and Responsibilities
Learning about responsibilities and doing chores gives teens a sense of accomplishment, confidence and belonging. Here you will find resources about responsibilities, chores and teens.
- Printable Chore Charts for Teens
- Chores List for Older Kids and Teens - Over 50 Ideas
- Quick Tips for Getting Teens to Use a Chore Chart
- Parenting Teens Contracts: Teen Chores
- Change Your Teen's Attitude About Chores
Dating and Relationships
Teen dating tips for teens and their parents. Does your teen want to date? Here are some dating guidelines, a dating quiz, dating tip list and more teen dating resources to help.
- Teen Dating Quiz - Are they friends or are they dating?
- Talk to a Teen with Looking for a Date Jitters
- Parenting Teens Contract on Teen Dating
- Warning Signs of Teen Dating Violence
- How To Talk to Your Teen About Dating
- Dating Violence: What Can a Parent Do?
Drug Use: Issues and Prevention
Drug use and abuse resources for parents who may be dealing with teen drug use and abuse. All teens see some type of drug use or abuse in school or in the media, find resources here to help you talk with your teenager and parent them on the topic of teen drug use.
- Things You Can Do to Prevent Your Teen from Taking Drugs
- Warning Signs of Teenage Drug Abuse
- Set the Rules Teens and Drug Use
- The Scary Truth About Teens and Prescription Drug Abuse
- Ways Parents Can Prevent Teens From Abusing Prescription Drugs
- Residential Treatment for Adolescent Substance Abuse Problems
Teens love to learn about money, especially when they can have some to help with the lesson. Here are resources that will help you teach your teen financial responsibility.
- Give an Allowance That Includes Financial Responsibility
- Teens and Taxes - Things Your Teen Needs to Know About Taxes
- Five First-rate Opportunities to Talk Money Sense with Your Teen
- The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens
- Parenting Poll: Would you give your teen their own credit card?
Teen Sexuality and Pregnancy
Learn how to talk to your teen about sex and teen sexuality. Information on teen sexuality including teen pregnancy, menstruation and puberty.
- Things That Make Talking About Sex to Teens Tough and What to Do About Them
- 10 Essentials Your Teen Needs to Know About Sex
- 3 Simple Things Parents of Straight Teens Can Do About Homosexuality
- How Do I Accept My Gay Teen?
- How Is Puberty the Same for Both Sexes
- Teen Sexual Development Stages
- Five Common Questions Preteens Have About Periods
- Teen Pregnancy: Tips on Prevention
- The Dos and Donts of Sex Education
- FAQ: Can my daughter get an abortion without my consent?
- FAQ: My teen daughter just told me she is pregnant. What do I do?
Having a job is a huge responsibility that teens enjoy. Teenagers like the pay and working with other teens. Parents like the sense of responsibility a job gives a teen. Check here for resources on getting your teen a job, whether your teen is ready for a job and what to do when your teen has a job. If your teen just wants a summer job, we have resources to help you with that too.