High School Survival Guide for Parents
From Denise Witmer, former About.com Guide
- After School Snacks
- Avoid School Pitfalls
- Bullying, Mean Girls and School Violence
- Classes and Schedules
- Handling Homework
After School Snacks
Teens get very hungry and often grumpy because they are hungry after school. Here are some suggested tips and snack recipes to help you keep them full and happy.
- After School Snack Mix Recipe
- Apples and Cream Cheese Dip
- Banana Wrap Recipe
- PB and J with Marshmallow Snack Mix
- Pizza Bread Sticks
- Soft Pretzels
- All of Our Snack Recipes for Kids and Teens
- Honey Rice Crispy Snack
- Frozen Grapes
- Cheesy Popcorn
- Cheesy Crunch Snack Mix
Avoid School Pitfalls
School problems can lead to a unproductive or troubled teen. Here are articles that will help you avoid any school pitfalls.
- Falling Asleep in Class
- Not Getting Along with Teachers
- Having Trouble with Homework
- Never Being Prepared
- Not Involved in Anything
- Overscheduled Teen
- Avoiding the Future
- Problems with Peers
- Has a Hard Time Taking Tests
- Your Teen Has Become a Discipline Problem
- School Lunch: Does your teen pack or buy? Do they eat it?
Bullying, Mean Girls and School Violence
Your teen will see more violence than you will ever want them too. Here are resources for parents whose teens are experiencing some type of school violence and for those parents who wish to try and prevent violence from happening at all.
- Bullying: What Is the Schools Responsibility?
- Bullying Is Your Child a Bully? Parenting Quiz
- Five Steps to Take if Your Child is Being Bullied
- Make Your Child Bully Proof
- 5 Tips on Dealing with Mean Girls
- How common is the mean girl trend?
- Parenting Quiz - Are you raising a mean girl?
- Are Mean Girls Getting Meaner?
- What Can Parents Do To Fight Gangs
- School Violence Poll: Zero Tolerance?
Classes and Schedules
High school gives your teen a little more freedom to choose which classes he wants to take and when he will be taking them. Below you will find resources on particular classes and how your teen should create their schedule.
- Sex Education in Schools
- High School Subjects
- Has your teenager completed all of the required college preparation courses?
After a full day at school the last thing your teen wants to do is homework. You can help your teen by being understanding and prepared with needed resources. These articles will help.
- Set Up a Mobile Homework Center
- Is your teen having trouble with homework?
- Tips On Getting Your Teen To Do Their Homework... And Keep Your Sanity
- Should my teen do their homework in their room?
- Science Fair Projects Ideas
- In Thousands of Homes Every Night: Teens Not Doing Homework
- Fixing School Problems: Your teen is having trouble doing the homework.
Making the Grade
Middle school and high school are stepping stones into your teen's future. Help them understand how to succeed in their school year by setting goals.
- Build a Winning Academic and Personal Record
- Tips on Setting and Obtaining Goals
- Book Review: How to Become a Straight-A Student
- Encourage Your High School Student to Do Their Best
- Best Ways to Motivate Your Teen To Earn Good Grades in High School
- Grade Incentives That Are Not Monetary
Organize Your Time
Time management in the home is a big factor when calculating the moods of a family. If everything is rush, rush, rush, no one is going to be happy. Teens who aren't happy at home have a harder time succeeding in school. Here are some resources to help you organize your family's time at home so your teen will be happier in school.
- Organize Your Family's Schedule in No Time
- Get Rid of Manic Mornings; Adopt a Calm Morning Routine
- Organizing from the Inside Out for Teenagers
- Get in the Habit of Checking Planners Together
Alternatives to Traditional High School
Do you feel your teen needs to try an alternative high school or do you want to home school your teen? Find the resources you need below.
- Choosing an Alternative High School for Teens
- Should Your Teen Consider Alternative High Schools?
- Alternative High Schools: Options for At-Risk Teens
- Alternative High Schools Resources
High School Senioritis
It may seem like a made-up illness to those who have never seen it in action - or a joke to people who have never suffered the consequences - but senioritis is real and it can cause terrible consequences for your teen.
- Parenting Quiz: Does your teen have senioritis?
- Help for Parents of Teens with Senioritis
- Signs and Symptoms of Senioritis and How to Identify Them