Tough Love is an approach designed to help parents struggling to raise a troubled teen. The tough love organization claims to have helped millions of families and defines their overall approach as: 'staying tough while setting and enforcing limits and boundaries for your kids.'
What Tough Love is All About - The Basic Principles of This Approach
The overall idea behind the tough love approach is for parents to love their troubled teen enough to consistently set firm limits and follow through on appropriate consequences when they are not followed. Another important tenet of tough love is that teens need to be responsible for their behavior, making choices about what they do and being held accountable for the bad choices they make.
The tough love approach advocates the following parenting strategies:
- Let your teen see your love for them while also being firm when discipline is needed.
- Utilize professional help for your troubled teen when needed.
- Consistently set and enforce reasonable expectations, limits and boundaries with your teen.
- Find a balance between guiding your teen and letting them have their freedom.
- Respect your teen as an individual going through important changes while growing into an adult.
- Create a safe environment for your teen and your family.
- Take a stand and take charge when troubled teens create an unsafe or unmanageable situation in the home.
- Teach your teen how to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
- Let go of trying to control your teen, let them make their own choices and then learn from or suffer from them.
More Tough Love Concepts About Parenting
Tough Love believes that a key component to dealing with a troubled teen is for parents to recognize the power they have, and don't have, in responding to a troubled teen who is wreaking havoc in their family. Specifically:
- Parents need to be the authority figures in their home.
- Parents have a huge influence on their kids and need to set an example they can learn from.
- Parents need to send consistent and clear messages to their teens.
- Parents can't directly change their kids but can change your own behavior to bring about changes in a teen.
- Parents are not to blame when teens have problems; it is the teen who chooses to continue the inappropriate behaviors that impact the entire family.
What Tough Love Does Not Advocate
Unfortunately, in some cases these concepts have been used inappropriately and in the name of 'tough love' teens have been abused or kicked out of their home, approaches that clearly go against the tough love philosophy.
Tough love does not:
- Advocate embarrassing or abusing teens in any way.
- Lock or kick teens out of the house.
- Suggest producing pain in teens, to the contrary, they advocate bringing about positive changes.
- Favor harsh rules or punishments.
The original tenants of tough love are a philosophy that works better for some families and some situations than for others; it is one of the few parenting strategies that have endured over many years. For parents struggling to find effective ways of dealing with a troubled teen it may be worth your time to check out what Tough Love has to offer.