Teen Health and Wellness
By Amy Morin
Below parents of teens will find resources to help them keep their teen healthy, deal with teen health issues and teach their teens good healthy habits.
- Teen Growth and Development
- Teen Diet and Nutrition
- Teens, Sleep and Relaxation
- Teen Drug Use and Abuse
- Teen Body Image and Self-Confidence
- Teen Sexuality and Teen Pregnancy
- Teen Depression and Teen Suicide
- Teen Mental Health Issues
Teen Growth and Development
During the time of adolescence, the physical body grows rapidly. A teenager will go from looking and acting like a child to becoming a physical adult who will, hopefully, also begin to act like the adult they are becoming. Here you will find information on normal growth and development for teens in the areas of social and emotional development, physical growth and some pitfalls to avoid.
- Teen Physical and Sexual Development
- Social and Emotional Development Teens Ages 13 - 18
- What is Identity Development in Teens?
- Teen Behavior and Daily Routines Ages 13 - 18
- Parenting Teens: Ages and Stages
Teen Diet and Nutrition
A healthy diet for teens will help them develop healthy diet habits for their future. Here you will find resources for teens and parents on what a healthy diet is and the nutritional needs of a teenager - along with problems in teen diets and how to avoid bad food habits.
- Help Your Obese Teen Lose Weight
- How to Get Your Teen to Eat Breakfast
- 4 Bad Food Habits Teens Have and What Parents Can Do About Them
- How To Pack a Lunch for Teens
- (Many Healthy) Snack Recipes for Kids and Teens
Teens, Sleep and Relaxation
Teens need to get their rest as they have busy lives and they are still developing physically, which is one of the jobs of sleep. Here you will find information on how much sleep teens need, how to help your teen deal with stress and advice from parents of teens in our community.
- How Much Sleep Does Your Teen Need?
- Top Ways to Encourage Your Teen to Go to Sleep at a Reasonable Time
- Teens Falling Asleep in Class
- Study Has Linked Teen Depression and Lack of Sleep
- Help! Teen Sleeps all Day...
- Text Messages Keep Teens From Sleeping
- Tips on Teaching Your Teen How to Deal with Stress
- Ten Signs Your Teenager is Burning Out
- Ways to Help Your Teen Tone Down Test Stress
- Stress Test: Is your teenager stressed out?
Teen Drug Use and Abuse
One of the scariest thoughts for a parent of a teen is having to deal with teen drug use. But all parents of teenagers need to deal with drug use and abuse issues as it is a part of their teen's lives, if only through the media or through other teens your child knows at school. Here are resources you can use to prevent teen drug use and get help if your teen is abusing drugs.
- Residential Treatment for Adolescent Substance Abuse Problems
- The Scary Truth About Teens and Prescription Drug Abuse
- Ways Parents Can Prevent Teens From Abusing Prescription Drugs
Teen Body Image and Self-Confidence
Teens who have a healthy body image see themselves as capable, beautiful on the inside and out. This isn't easy for a teen and most teens waver every now and then because they are going through so many physical and emotional changes. Having a healthy body image helps your teen have confidence in themselves and their abilities. Here are some resources for parents to use when dealing with their teen's body image health issues.
- Help Your Teen Shape a Healthy Body Image
- What are the most current statistics of teenagers having plastic surgery done?
- How do I teach my teen media literacy?
- Self-Confidence and Teens How a Confident Teen Acts
- Building Confidence in Teens
Teen Sexuality and Teen Pregnancy
During the teen years their bodies physically become sexually mature. Most teen girls are physically capable of reproducing by the age of 14-years-old, and some earlier. Because of their immaturity in sexual matters, very young teens will get pregnant. You can help your teen avoid a teen pregnancy, and other problems like STDs by talking to them about sex and cluing them into the truth before their friends paint a different picture.
- How to Talk to Teens About Difficult Subjects
- How to Talk to Your Teen About Teen Pregnancy and Prevention
- Teen Pregnancy: Is Your Teen Clueless About the Facts?
- How common is teen pregnancy?
- Why should teen pregnancy concern everyone?
- What is the most important thing parents can do to prevent teen pregnancy?
- My teen daughter just told me she is pregnant. What do I do?
- My teen son just told me he got his girlfriend pregnant. What do I do?
- What do teens what to know about sex/teen pregnancy/relationships?
- Can my daughter get an abortion without my consent?
- 10 Essentials Your Teen Needs to Know About Sex
- Sexting: Teens Putting Sex and Texting Together
- Things That Make Talking About Sex to Teens Tough and What to Do About Them
- How to Talk to Your Teen About Sexuality Issues
Teen Depression and Teen Suicide
Ten depression can affect your teen's health in many different ways. Teens who suffer from depression may seem like they are more angry and have a larger dose of teen angst or they may withdraw and suffer in silence turning to self-harm behaviors. Find out if your teen could be depressed and get some resources for help here. It is imperative that parents seek help for a depressed teen as depression can lead to teen suicide attempts.
- 7 Common Myths About Teen Suicide
- Teen Suicide Risk Factors
- What to Say to a Suicidal Teen
- 4 Types of Depression Found in Teens
Teen Mental Health Issues
A teen's mental health is as important as healthy physical growth if they are to reach adulthood and live a successful life. Here parents will find resources for all types of mental health wellness and debilitating issues like self-injury, addiction, grief and more.
- Teen Mental Health: What Parents Need to Know
- Common Mental Health Issues in Teens
- When to Seek Mental Health Treatment
- 9 Types Anxiety Disorders Commonly Found in Teens