Question: My teen daughter just told me she is pregnant. What do I do?
Answer: Finding out your teen daughter is pregnant is a shock - physically and emotionally. You need to take a deep breath before you truly deal with it. You need to be part of the solution to this problem for your teen, so you need to be thinking as clearly as possible. If you reacted initially in a way that you are now ashamed of, fall back and regroup with your teen.
How common is teen pregnancy?
Why should teen pregnancy concern everyone?
What is the most important thing parents can do to prevent teen pregnancy?
My teen daughter just told me she is pregnant. What do I do?
My teen son just told me he got his girlfriend pregnant. What do I do?
What do teens what to know about sex/teen pregnancy/relationships?
Can my daughter get an abortion without my consent?
Parenting Quiz: Are you helping your teen prevent a unwanted teen pregnancy?
How to Talk to Your Teen About Teen Pregnancy
Teen Pregnancy: Tips on Prevention
Teen Birth Rate Rises for First Time in 15 Years
Common Birth Control Myths
- Find a local support group and services. You and your daughter are not alone with this problem.
- Talk to your daughter about her options. Share your feelings, but do not force your choices on her. Allow her to make the choices she needs to make.
- Get your daughter a doctor's appointment. No matter what choice she is making, she needs to see a doctor.
- Support your daughter in her decision.
- Find help with your thoughts and feelings. Speak to a counselor or find a support group for you.
Teen Pregnancy FAQ: